01 December 2006

Update no.258

Update from the Heartland
No.258
13.11.06 – 19.11.06

To all,
This weekend, Jeanne and I met Melissa and Tyson along with Baby Loe in Dallas -- always a genuine treat and one of the pleasures of life to see your children -- happy and doing well. Beyond the abundant family conversation, we went to the Sixth Floor Museum, or as it used to be known, the Texas School Book Depository. I would expect any American of my generation or older to know precisely what is significant about that place. Like an earlier visit to the Oklahoma City Memorial [176, 184], we felt the need to walk the ground of that day 43 years ago. The curators have done a magnificent job of capturing that moment in history -- the mood of the Nation before, during and after -- and the controversy that still whirls around that horrific event. As many times as I have seen the images, the analysis, the narratives of that day, I was impressed by how close the space of Deely Plaza is . . . close range is the operative term. Not surprisingly, normal automobile traffic continues to traverse Elm Street much to the hazard to those citizens and tourists like me that felt the urge to stand on and between the two painted "X's" in the center lane of the roadway and look back to those few seconds of time. On Sunday, we enjoyed watching the Dallas Cowboys beat the until-then undefeated Indianapolis Colts, 21-14 -- great fun with the kids. The process of extraction took nearly as long as the game. Melissa and Tyson drove back to Austin; we spent another night in the hotel . . . to drive back to Wichita in the morning.

The stage is set for what could be a cataclysmic confrontation between the Executive and Legislative branches of government, and yet before the first sparks of the expected conflagration could ignite, convulsions within the House Democratic Caucus overshadowed the larger arena.
Representative Nancy Patricia Pelosi of California AKA Nancy D'Alesandro – the next Speaker of the House and the second heartbeat in constitutional succession –decided to move quickly to set the tone for her tenure as Speaker. Nancy publicly professed her support for Representative John Murtha of Pennsylvania to be Majority Leader, thus rejecting the more centrist and appropriately positioned Representative Steny Hoyer of Maryland. This choice alone appears to foretell the mood, attitude and direction of the new Speaker – adversarial is probably the operative word. My opinion, Nancy could not have made a worse choice; even William Jefferson of Louisiana [233, 240] would have been a better selection than Murtha. [For those that might be interested in such trivia, William Jennings Jefferson AKA ‘Dollar Bill’ Jefferson won the most votes (30%) in the recent election, despite his extensive corruption woes, and he will face another Democrat in a special December 9th runoff election. He has not yet been indicted, charged or tried, but with stacks of marked currency wrapped up in his freezer, he looks as guilty as O.J. in the white Bronco.] On Thursday, the House Democratic Caucus smote the new Speaker and elected Hoyer as Majority Leader – a very early public and serious defeat for Pelosi.
Senator Harry Mason Reid of Nevada AKA Pinky Reid will become the new Majority Leader of the Senate when the new Congress convenes, which means the independent senator, Joe Lieberman, will play a more influential role, although he has currently cast his lot with the Democrats giving the party its majority.
The last vestiges of any likelihood for a wartime unity government evaporated last week. If an opposition Congress helps us move back to the center of the political spectrum, we might be able to look back on these next two years in a positive light. Given Nancy’s choice for Majority Leader, we shall bear witness to a volatile, partisan, political circus. If my premonition comes to fruition, I suspect We, the People, will cast this lot out and try another bunch in two years.

These are indeed interesting times when Kansas politics makes the editorial page of the New York Times. “What’s Right With Kansas,” published on Wednesday, closed with this paragraph: “And for us, one of the most satisfying results was the resounding defeat of Attorney General Phill Kline, an anti-abortion zealot who gained national notoriety by misusing his office to further his ideology. He tried to force health care workers to file reports on the sexual activity of teens, and to seize women’s confidential medical records. That gross assault on privacy and legal rights was a major issue in the campaign. The 58-to-42 landslide that elected a former Republican, Paul Morrison, was a victory for moderation and the rule of law.” ‘Nuf said. Spot on . . . satisfying indeed. Now, we can only hope one of the remaining stalwart moral projectionists, Senator Sam Brownback, gets the message. We shall see.

This disgusting and morally despicable action by O.J. Simpson is beyond civilized description. I have absolutely no intention of listening to or reading anything by this erroneously acquitted murderer. Sadly, beyond the debasement of civil discourse by Simpson, the abandonment of all propriety by Harper Collins and FOX Entertainment represents the equally disgusting lengths corporate America will go for money. We can only hope no one buys the book and no one watches the TV interview; we must make this a financially stupid move for these two companies.
On a different plain, these companies found it so easy to cast aside their morals to publish anything by Simpson, while I continue to struggle to find an agent and publisher for my writing. Name notoriety counts for a lot in the publishing biz – sad but true. Nonetheless, Cap ‘Don Quixote’ Parlier continues his valiant effort at the windmill.

Should homosexuals be denied equal protection under the laws, id est, should they be denied equal rights afforded heterosexual citizens? In a larger context, should any citizen in good standing be denied equal protection under the laws based on any one or a combination of social factors – age, gender, race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political affiliation, or disability? And, the concomitant question, when should the authority of the State exceed a citizen’s fundamental right to privacy?

Here is a news flash: the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has re-approved silicone breast implants for human use after a decade plus hiatus and thousands of liability lawsuits.

Comments and contributions from Update no.257:
"I suppose I was right in that angry Republicans and independents put the Democrats back in control of the congress. Of course, it did not take a rocket scientist to make that prediction. I am disappointed that Harry Ford lost. He's a fresh approach to decision-making sorely needed these days. I suspect he will get in at a later date and we haven't seen the last of him. I'm quite glad Lieberman won for a number of reasons. I hope he sticks to doing what is right and never again falls prey to the wrong turn he took with Kerry. I voted electronically for the first time and it was smooth and easy. I also voted early and will do so as often as possible. My wife stood in line for 3 hours to vote on election day. Many people walked away. Let that be a lesson.
"Why the Rumsfeld decision was made right after the election is another example of why the Republicans lost. It was way too late. Like you I've been saying for a year that he is this era's McNamara. Shock and awe entering Iraq is one thing and it was masterful. Occupying requires a substantial larger force to police the pockets of resistance. He's a smart guy and helped transform the military in many good ways. But, he'll never live down not sending enough troops. And, President Bush was foolish to stay with that strategy. Along with that thought, I'm weary of retired Generals speaking their mind. They need to do so while wearing the rank on active duty. Any General who is not prepared to lose the job over doing what is right is not fit to be one. Perhaps if more had taken a stand, things would be different today. Squawking as a talking head on TV is a little late. I hope Gates has the good sense to prosecute the war to win and not just hang around.
"Now it's time to watch the Democrats. If they can lead us to victory, I'm all for it. If they, however, lead us to cut and run, it will be our undoing. We are one of the causes of the current situation for Iraq. We cannot abandon them now. It's time for the Democrats to show some courage and conviction to get it done and beat the terrorists. Islamic Fascism will be the gallows for the world if not defeated. I'll be watching the Democrats. Let's see what they've got now that they own the congress."

Another contribution from a different individual:
"Our Corps is alive and well, led by Marines newer than you or I, but led well. And that is important because we are once again on the pointy end of the sword, and have been for maybe too many years. Due not to Our prowess or ability but the politics behind the scenes. Shades of Vietnam.
"I honor all Vets---those who served when called upon and did not run away from their responsibilities as American citizens. Obviously that does not include at least one recent President. Does Clinton ring a bell? So many made the ultimate sacrifice. Sad, but that is war. Yet others answered the call and replaced them. Such is the American way when we are threatened and/or attacked.
"I predicted in my own mind that the Dem[ocrat]s would win all of Congress. For Bush Jr it means he will be a really lame duck for the next 2 years.
"I see that Bush Sr, 41st Pres[ident], is trying to help his son some. But his efforts will be for naught, in my opinion. Bush Sr was a good to almost great Pres[ident], but he lost to Clinton because he did not read the minds of the American people in time to salvage his re-election. Clinton, the Ultimate Politician, did.
"Both Dem[ocrat]s and Repub[lican]s always say that now is the time for bipartisan cooperation to get things done. Yet that never happens, and both sides KNOW it will not happen.
"I am a bit sad that James Webb, a man I admire and respect a lot, ran as a Democrat. But I am glad he won. No way to know yet how he will act as a Senator, but I have hopes he still will remember his heritage, and past.
"I am glad to see Lieberman elected. He is a powerful man with a lot of good sense. It remains to be seen how he will insert his influence into the politics of our next Congress.
"I think Rumsfeld knew his job was on the line, and knew he was out as soon as Dem[ocrat]s won Congress. That Gates was the then choice is, in my opinion, Bush Sr inserting his influence to try and bail his son out.
"I agree with Glenn Beck, who I don't particularly like, that we all should be able to vote 'American' and not be tied to having to vote along particular party lines. At present, in WA, we have to declare as Republican or Dem[ocrat] or Independent---and then vote for ONLY candidates who are of that particular persuasion.
My reply:
Well said, indeed. I should have added Jim Webb’s election to my list of good outcomes. I’ve never been a fan of George Allen; he always reminded me a slimey weasel, and that insults the weasels. Our democracy is a work in process. I hope we will be a better nation for the lessons of this election.
. . . and this follow-up:
"I vote by mail. Never actually go to a polling station. But---in WA, we have to declare for one party or the other. THAT I don't like. On this I agree with Glenn Beck who says we should all be allowed to vote 'American'---not have to choose a party. Just vote for who you think is the best candidate.
"As an addendum to my last [message] on this subject, here is my situation in WA: I have to register to vote just as all voters in all states do. But in WA I have to declare as Republican or Democrat----or in some cases I can vote for independents, if someone is listed as independent. Mostly that is in the case of voting for various Judgeships.
"So---Let's say I register as Democrat. Then Hillary Clinton becomes that party's nominee. I hate her as possible President but I have only 2 options. Vote for her or don't vote at all. Neither then is a good option. By not voting I concede my rights of citizenship to complain when I don't agree with what she does if she wins. By voting for her I first give her one more vote, and therefore make her closer to winning. It sucks!
"I look forward to how Webb and Lieberman will influence Congress."
. . . along with my follow-up:
Election rules that force a citizen to declare a political party affiliation are offensive and an insult. Since my days on active duty and I was old enough to vote, I have been and remain proud of being a non-partisan, independent citizen and voter. The institutionalization of the two-party political system is wrong and must change; the only question is how long it will take.
Like you, I look forward to watching how Webb and Lieberman affect the new Congress. I suspect Joe will remain independently minded. Jim Webb should be fairly independent, and yet, it will be interesting to see if he can stand up to the party hacks that seek their pound of flesh. We shall see.

Another contributor offered these comments:
“Not to minimize the importance of all the other aspects of No. 257, but I am outraged at the time it took for you to cast you absentee ballot. More to my point of concern, however, is that I am alarmed at the lack of identification routine indicated by your message. I realize that this was not your point, but as a topic for future discussion, voter fraud looms as we discover huge fraud in lax absentee voting controls and 'trust me' attitudes about election machines without paper trails. The machine I voted on worked nicely, but it created no paper record for me or anyone to review and use later for a recount. Many voters I observed had a poll worker looking over their shoulder while they voted by 'secret ballot.' In addition, the summary page, supposedly accepted at the end of the process when one pushed the 'VOTE' button, did not identify the candidates for the federal offices by name--it only showed a vote for the party. Made me wonder. I think we are in for a rude awakening. Our enemies have good hackers, and some of our enemies are political operatives living next door.”
My response:
I share your outrage. We have accepted the trusted citizen approach for too many years and our troubled times justify a more controlled electoral process. I was surprised I did not have to show positive identification, but I saw the ledger, saw my name and address, and signed the ledger that I am me. No one would have been able to sign after me, and if someone beat me to the polls, I would have raised the alarm of fraud immediately. So, the process is not without safeguards.
To clarify, I requested an absentee ballot in case I was not in town on election day. I chose not to use the absentee ballot and wanted to use the machine. The time delay entailed the precinct station official calling the county election office to validate what I had already checked on – I simply had to turn in my unmarked absentee ballot, and then I was allowed to vote on the machine. I watched as my absentee ballot was physically voided, so that one else could use it.
I hope the Supremes settled this voter ID question definitively, and we can move on. We shall see.
. . . along with this follow-up:
"It not only sucks, it is unconstitutional, in my humble opinion, unless is a party primary election where candidates are merely nominated for the general election.
"Mississippi, accused of all manner of voting rights violations, is ahead of WA on this. I sincerely believe that you are deprived of your right to vote if you are prevented from voting for the candidate of your choice in a general election. How could this not be a violation of your constitutional rights?
"Surely someone has tested this. I hope you will take the time to call, write, or e-mail the ACLU and ask for the legal authority that has held this to be constitutional, or if they cannot provide that, then ask them to challenge it or tell you why they won't."

And, another contribution from a different person:
"Thanks for your update-- don't forget in the election coverage that Jim Webb (USNA '68) won the Senate seat in Virginia. I think that's great--and not just for his pragmatic views on Iraq and Afghanistan. but for his views on the economy as well. For the first time ever, I sent in money to support a campaign -- Webb's. He wore his son's boots (a Marine infantry corporal who just left for his second combat tour overseas) on the campaign as a symbol. Another USNA grad, Joe Sestak won a Congressional House seat from "Crazy" Curt Weldon--who had some very questionable dealings with organized crime figures from Russia. He also was a crackpot who tried to organize a personal mission to Iraq to uncover WMD that he had 'inside info' on where it was hidden. Good riddance.
"I was born and raised in South Dakota, and while I haven't lived there in a while, can provide some insight on the abortion vote. I think South Dakotans were put off by perceived government interference in their personal lives. They just wanted government to butt out of their lives. I was home this summer and this is the sentiment I discerned. Coyote State voters can be quirky--to whit sending George McGovern to the Senate during a generally Republican period.
My reply:
Thank you for your view of the South Dakota abortion vote. Most folks have not read Roe v. Wade, but the essence of that ruling is not abortion, but rather each individual citizen’s fundamental right to privacy in the conduct of their lives. Justice Blackmun’s opinion for the majority was well-written, thoughtful, expansive and articulate, despite being the source of countless arguments and debates. One of these days, we will recognize the sanctity of a citizen’s privacy and the exclusion of government from that domain. We are not there yet.
. . . along with this follow-up:
"An added comment on Rumsfeld. This is from a soldier returned from Iraq. It says a lot-- I was in DoD from 2002-04, and senior leadership was very lax and slow in getting more armored Humvees out. DoD spokesmen were outright lying when they said they were doing everything to increase production. At the same time suppliers were wondering why they weren't being given ramped up orders--which they could have met. Just one aspect to the man's arrogance and incompetence.
'Our Battalion was only given five armored Humvees for over 600 soldiers. I often had to patrol the streets of Baghdad in a Humvee with canvas doors that provided no protection to our unit from the rampant road side bombs.
'We tolerated these conditions for far too long.
'We were outraged when Rumsfeld responded with the now infamous line about going to war with the 'Army you have, not the Army you want.' When America decides to go to war, it has the responsibility to provide its soldiers the gear it needs to win -- that is all we asked. It was Mr. Rumsfeld's responsibility to provide that.'"
. . . and my follow-up response:
Rummy’s street-fight-on-the-cheap strategy is today’s version of the politically inspired rules of engagement we suffered during the Vietnam War. The troops on the field of battle are paying the price for improper political alignment at home, just as our generation bled 40 years ago. John McCain seems to be one of the few leadership voices who has consistently advocated for more boots on the ground to win this damnable fight, and surprisingly, he continues to say what is correct for the War on Islamic Fascism. Hopefully, the Baker-Hamilton Study Group along with the new secretary of defense will have the stones to espouse what is best for the War on Islamic Fascism, rather than what is politically expedient to feed the introspective yearnings of the uber-Left. We shall see.

Here is the last contribution this week:
"Dem[ocrat]s who are led by left-leaning 'Everything is America's fault' morons or Republicans led by spineless, testicularly-challenged girly-men. Not much of a choice if you ask me. My biggest fear, like many have expressed in this Update, is that the Pelosi/Murtha/Kerry/Kennedy cabal will leave Iraq before the job is done. Some of them have said that won't happen, but how do you know a politician is lying? Their mouth is moving. No doubt we live in a highly partisan era, though whether it is, as one woman I know told me, '[the country] has never been this divided,' I disagree whole-heartedly. Scanning the history books will show the Civil War, and even the American Revolution, will back me up. The other thing I found very humorous was after the election how the punditry and pols got together and did the usual 'yes, we'll work together, blah, blah, blah.' Then when they mentioned all the very personal attacks that went on, the response . . . 'Well, that was said during a campaign and the people who said them didn't really mean it.' As Norman Schwarzkopf put it, that's Bovine Scatology. If you don't mean to insult someone, then don't do it (the usual friendly ripping of your buddies aside)." Like you, Cap, I take William T. Sherman's famous quote to heart. 'If nominated I will not run, if elected I will not serve.'"
My reply:
I’m afraid we are headed down the road of retreat, unless the President can grow some really big stones, right fast. The new majority is going to make it so painful the President will concede to stop the pain. I agree with you . . . kinda hard to top the division of the Civil War – we were killing each other by the thousands. I don’t think we are divided as much as we were during the Vietnam years. The instant response of modern communications significantly amplifies the voices of the minority, which makes them sound more fearsome than they are. Nonetheless, we have what we have. I was thinking of Lyndon B. Johnson when I offered up the phrase, but I think you are right Bad Boy Willy T. Sherman said it first, I do believe.

My very best wishes to all. Take care of yourselves and each other.
Cheers,
Cap :-)

No comments: