01 December 2006

Update no.257

Update from the Heartland
No.257
6.11.06 – 12.11.06

To all,
Last Friday, the United States Marine Corps -- spread out across the planet -- celebrated 231 years of service to this Grand Republic. Semper Fidelis.

Saturday was Veterans Day (or Armistice Day for those old enough to remember) in the United States and Remembrance Day in Europe, as we remember the sacrifices of all veterans to protect our freedoms and keep us safe. On this day, I am reminded of George Orwell’s universal observation: “We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those that would harm us.” Let us remember those rough men. May God bless all veterans who have made the ultimate sacrifice, who have served this Grand Republic, and those who stand watch today at the gates of liberty.

What do the election results tell us? The obvious conclusions:
1.) Democrats have rested control of the House of Representatives from the Republicans, and Representative Nancy Pelosi of California is likely to become the first female Speaker of the House;
2.) the Senate is a little more complicated; some in the Press tout a Democratic victory (51-49); actually 49-49-2, with the two independent most likely to caucus with the Democrats; which means the Vice President will likely play a greater role in deciding Senate outcomes.
Of course, the pundits and talking heads are frothing at the mouth over the rebuke of the Bush White House and current Congress. As I have written for years now, the obscene, un-checked spending, the steady stream of corruption from both political parties, and the party-centric, partisan discord demanded change. The election results suggest I am not alone. And yet, a litmus test of whether the new Congress got the message may well be the number and type of earmarks attached to the next federal budget legislation, and whether the President will develop a political backbone and veto at least some of pork-barrel infested legislation offered up for his signature.
I was happy to see Senator Joe Lieberman re-elected as an Independent. I proudly report the defeat of Kansas Attorney General Phill Kline – good riddance – and, the election of the state’s new attorney general, Paul Morrison. My next target . . . actually, my remaining target . . . Senator Sam Brownback – his uber-Right, moral projectionist, intrusive politics must be eliminated. I was disappointed to see Representative Harold Ford Jr. defeated in the Tennessee senatorial election; he is a class act. Sadly, John Murtha was re-elected and edging toward becoming the majority leader. Arnold Schwarzenegger – the Govern-ator – won re-election handily, to retain his post as California governor. And, well, wonder of wonders, the marriage amendment actually failed in Arizona. And, the abortion prohibition initiative failed in South Dakota. I am not sure why. Since we have contributors in both states, I will ask for their opinions of the two failed third-rail initiatives.
From my humble and yet critical perspective, I think there is one essential reason the Republicans lost both chambers of Congress – they acted opposite to long-term Republican values. The Republican members of Congress beat themselves. And, for the Democrats to portray this election as some undefined referendum on the Battle for Iraq will be an insult to those who have sacrificed so much to win this battle in the War on Islamic Fascism.
As an unimportant postscript, I voted at my local precinct station when the polls opened at 06:00 CST. Turning in my unopened absentee ballot took three times as long as the actually voting process. For the record, I was not asked for formal identification -- I provided my name; they checked it off the ledger. We used an electronic, touch-screen, voting machine with no paper trail that had to be enabled by an election official. The process was easy, straight-forward, and foolproof -- a good experience.

I had to abandon the first threads of a paragraph in defense of Donald Rumsfeld when the Secretary of Defense abruptly resigned his office after the mid-term election. The Press and opposition politicians have been clamoring for Rummy’s head on a pike for many months. He has become, and I must say justly deserves being, the face of the debilitating bleeding in the Battle for Iraq. As noted in numerous editions of this Update, I have never been a fan of Rummy’s management style or his vision of how to win a street fight. His brow-beating of generals has led directly to our attempt to fight the Battle of Iraq on the cheap. Most of us are well aware of Rummy’s negatives. That said, I feel the urge to illuminate a few of the things I admire in Donald Rumsfeld. I have long respected his often acerbic wit in dealing with the Press. He was never intimidated and was always resolute in sticking to the message of the administration. I liked his lean military initiatives prior to 9/11. During the build-up to pulling the trigger on Operation IRAQI FREEDOM, the consequences of Rummy’s lean military initiatives bloomed into gathering clouds over the noble endeavor. Events of the last couple of years have solidified those consequences. I lauded Don’s efforts in peacetime, but those efforts had insufficient time to mature in peacetime trials and evolution, and were unfortunately thrust into the worst kind of ground combat operations. While the lean initiatives might have transformed the military, they failed miserably in the meat grinder of Fallujah and the Sunni Triangle, and the sectarian rifts that were allowed to open into the current chasm. Donald Rumsfeld is a good, dedicated, loyal and competent man, and yet he will go down in history as another Robert McNamara – a good and capable man at the wrong time with the wrong style. He needed to go, and he is gone.

The President nominated Robert Michael Gates to be Rummy’s successor as Secretary of Defense. Among other governmental assignments, Gates was the former Director of Central Intelligence who resigned early in the Clinton administration. I suspect we shall have a fairly dramatic contrast with the former secretary. With a Democratic majority is both chambers and an emboldened Democratic leadership, the confirmation hearings might well be quite entertaining. The President cautioned our enemies not to misinterpret and underestimate the will of the American People -- wise words.

Comments and contributions from Update no.256:
“I agree with Glenn Beck who says we should vote American, not Republican or Democrat or some other fringe party. I'm not a particular fan of Beck but I think he is right. However- in some states, mine included, one must declare as Republican or Democrat and then vote accordingly. That law is being fought, but at the moment it is the law. My opinion is we all should be able to vote for that man or woman, regardless of party affiliation, who we feel will make the best President.
“Kerry is a pure politician who will bend whichever way he sees the wind blowing---all in an attempt to promote himself.
“I applaud Saddam's conviction and the decision he should be hanged vice shot, as he wishes. I hope that happens soon. We shall see. I also hope the execution is made public for all to see.
“While it turns out that Michael Fox had never read whatever it was he was speaking about, I still believe he is right. We need stem cell research.
“I am fortunate enough to have served in a time when Marines who served on IWO JIMA were still in the Marine Corps. I personally knew a few of them. All generals by the time I knew them. None of them would have endorsed the way we got into Iraq nor how we are doing things there. But all would agree that once our President took us there we are duty bound to support him till he is no longer President.”
My reply:
In addition to the voter ID question, we do have this implicit State support for the two major political parties. In Kansas, you have to be a registered Republican to vote in the Republican primary, but the Democratic Party allows anyone to vote in their primary; you have to take one ballot form or the other. Since I am a dedicated non-partisan and independent voter, I have chosen not to vote in either primary rather than explicitly or implicitly align myself with any political party. And, as is so often the case in the states I have voted, the electoral system really only supports the two major political parties. Candidates in other political parties, e.g., Libertarian, Green, Reform, and such, have a terribly difficult time overcoming the inherent institutional bias toward the Democratic and Republican parties.
I’m not so sure about a public execution for Saddam Hussein. The Iraqis will decide for themselves, and judging from other countries in the region, I suspect his execution may well be a public event. My objective is simple justice and appropriate punishment for the death he has inflicted upon so many innocent people, including my friend, Jonathan Moyle.
Michael J. Fox makes no claim to be an expert regarding embryonic stem cell research, so I am not sure it really matters whether he has read the scientific journals. However, he does know enough to recognize the potential benefit for citizens afflicted with Parkinson’s Disease as he is. Perhaps he is the face or persona for other Parkinson’s victims. We do indeed need stem cell research with both adult and embryonic stem cell lines. I truly believe we will do what needs to be done; it is only a question of how long it takes us to realize the need.
The President made numerous mistakes regarding the Battle for Iraq – not obtaining a full declaration of war, commitment of insufficient troops, fighting the battle on the cheap, not obtaining a military draft, et cetera. However, as you noted, once the troops were committed, the debate was done. Now, we either win or lose. The choice belongs to us – We, the People.
. . . along with this rebuttal:
“I just think a voter, voting in a primary or the actual election, should be able to vote for anyone who is running for election. Period. No party involved.
“I say public execution for Saddam. So the little people, who so often do not see what is actually going on, will at least someday see that it did happen.
“I agree that whether Fox read the literature or not he does know the importance of the research. All too well.
“The present Pres[ident] Bush is not a bright man. So one might expect he would not do things in the brightest way. But I personally believe he KNOWS he is few clowns short of a full circus, and therefore needing to respect the advice of those who surround him. He has, somehow, taken some very good people into his inner circles, whether because his Dad told him who to get or just by luck. But he insists on going his own way time after time. Even to the point, in MY mind, of acting illegally. Yet there has been no threat to impeach him. Maybe because since he got us into a war, now is not the time for That [expletive deleted]. He is the Pres[ident]. Fact. In 2 years he won’t be. Fact. Now we may worry who will control Congress for the next 2 years. While we debate the ins and outs of those who declare themselves for the 2008 Presidency.
“I think I will not run for President in 2008. Who in his/her right mind would ever want that job? Yet---we do have to have someone willing to assume that awesome responsibility. And we DO have some who are. But so far I see no one I would vote for. Dem[ocrats] or Rep[ublicans].
. . . and I had to add:
I am not a big fan of W’s modus operandi, his social politics, or his public persona. I am not sure where the notion that he acted illegally came from? He could have done things better or differently . . . but were his actions really illegal?
I’ve registered my disgust with our current political system. Like you, I shall not seek and if nominated I shall not run for the office of President or any other political office for that matter. Don’t need the headache.
Some say the silly season for the 2008 presidential election is set to begin on Wednesday. Heaven forbid!

Another contribution from a different contributor:
“I have some relatives in Iraq. I'm curious where the picture of the soldiers with the sign was taken. North, south, east, west? Baghdad? It is highly partisan, and I don't believe remotely representative of the sentiment of those in the field.”
My response:
First, may God bless your kin and their brethren for their service to the Nation.
Second, I have seen no attribution with that image I attached. I could make a number of educated guesses, but that is all they would be.
Third, I received the image from a variety of different sources – active duty military, retired military, and non-military. I am certain no one could or would claim the image conveyed the attitude of the serving military, since the military is but reflection of American society in general. However, the sentiments in that image do reflect my view as well as others regarding John Kerry’s quite inappropriate backhanded reference to those in military service and specifically in combat in Iraq. I reacted to Kerry’s words exactly as those soldiers did . . . well before I saw that image. I thought that image transmitted my reaction far better than my words, thus my choice to include the image in addition to my words.
Lastly, I fully recognize the abysmal polarization of our society, and you are not alone in your apparent discounting of Kerry’s words or questioning the validity of that image. Perhaps this is an example of why we so desperately need a vigorous public debate.

And, another contribution from yet another contributor:
“As I reflect on update No.256, I am worried about these times.
“Cut and run from Vietnam is one of our darkest times as Americans. All the lives lost in Vietnam deserved better. Cut and run now will likely have the same outcome, not to mention serious and potentially fatal aftershocks for America and the rest of the world. Regardless, anger from independents and conservatives will probably embolden the voting record of liberals and likely lead to another cut and run from Iraq. In effect, be careful for what you ask - you just may get it. I recall my own anger at not finishing the job in the Gulf War and we wound up with 8 years of military neglect. We never completed the job in Korea and now we will likely face them again in one form or another. Sometimes the courage of a people to do what is right for the safety of the world supersedes anger at lousy politicians from any party. Perhaps that is why I usually agree more with Libertarians even though I do not belong to any party. Regardless, I cast my early vote for the only position I can take - do not cut and run. To do so will be our undoing. I hope enough good people choose carefully tomorrow for the same reason.
“I continue to shake my head at a border fence. Somebody needs to prove to me that a fence is a success for promoting good things from people. I agree that we must do something. How about we enforce the current laws? To do so would result in a pile of deportations. Perhaps that consequence is stronger than a fence.
“I unequivocally scream that to thwart stem cell research is to take us to the past, not to the future. It must be done for our well- being and the progress of the world. Dangerous it is, but too risky if we leave it in the hands of others. We should do it and do it right. The progress of science to help the world demands it.
“Speaking of Flags of our Fathers, I saw the movie and [read] the book. But, having seen the original movie with Tony Curtis as Ira Hayes long ago I already knew about the mess of his life. And, as a Marine I also know about the raising of two flags. My parents were careful to tell me how important the drive for bonds was at the time, regardless of how flawed the implementation became in practice. My Dad went from the beach to Belgium, Remagen, Buchenwald, and other points in Germany. He never asked for thanks. I can live with the anger I feel with how the Flag raisers were used given the outcome of the war. We did not cut and run – we won and saved the world. That is the lesson I learned early in life and it stays with me today. Perhaps it explains some of why I became a Marine Officer during the Vietnam era by choice. Regardless of the draft, like you I chose the Marines. And, my son without the draft did the same. What will it say about us today if we cut and run again like we did in Korea and Vietnam?
“Yes, I am worried about these times for they are more dangerous than I can ever remember in my lifetime.”
My reply:
We share a similar experience with Vietnam. I am not particularly interested in learning that lesson again. With the administration’s mismanagement of the Battle for Iraq and the rather sour mood this Republican-led Congress has created, I suspect we are headed down the same path.
I am not a fan of the border fence either, but as I said, something is better than nothing. So, let’s get ‘er done . . . we can adjust fire later.
We share the same views of stem cell research. Yes, we are tinkering with the very forces of life itself. Caution is appropriate and warranted, which is precisely why I think the Federal government must be deeply involved in every aspect of stem cell research, so that what is done or not done is open to public scrutiny, review and debate. The seriousness of stem cell research is more critical than the human genome project and on a par with the Manhattan Project – making that research so secret made it more susceptible. We must not allow embryonic stem cell research of be carried out beyond public review, and yet that is precisely the path the Bush administration has taken.
Two of our three sons chose to enlist in the Marine Corps and served the Nation honorably. And, for their service, your service, and your son’s service, I do not want the sacrifice of so many to be for naught. As you said, Korea and Vietnam were terribly bitter pills to swallow for the professional military. I fear the pain of those lessons cannot be repeated.
While my sometimes dark mood regarding our present situation might seem bad, I do not feel the same sense of foreboding I felt in 1975 through 1980 – looming dark clouds but no raging storm as yet. Then again, perhaps I am only seeing what I wish to see.

Here is an interesting comment:
“I have to admit that I don't always have time to read your entire Heartland Updates, but I always enjoy them! Have you ever considered putting them in a blog rather than the much more limited e-mail distribution? Just a thought -- there are many who would get a lot out of what you say who would never know otherwise -- as long as you're putting in the time writing them anyway -- and you could put in links to sites that sell your books among other things! People would be attracted to your sites through the Heartland Updates, and with increased exposure, you could perhaps get some return (I know that's not why you do it, but you might consider the good ol' American entrepreneur model -- if it's good anyway, why not make a little money off of it, too!)”
My thoughts:
Several folks have mentioned a BLOG format being more appropriate. To be honest, I am not quite sure how to go about it. Of course, you are certainly correct regarding the flexibility and potential benefit of a Web BLOG. I’ll print your thoughts in next week’s Update to see what turns up. Perhaps someone can give me a few hints.
[NOTE: This contributor sent a weblink on creating a BLOG. If anyone else has experience with creating and maintaining a BLOG, please send along your thoughts.]

Another contribution:
“I do have to share a short response to your note(s) about Kerry's comment. I've never had much, if any, regard for Mr. Kerry, but I have to give him some credit for his latest commentary. For the first time that I recall, he has finally, as a politician, spoken what is apparently on his mind. Hooray for those that are holding him accountable. He and Gibson both belong on the same stage!”

And, this last comment:
“Quite a beating the smug sanctimonious boys got the other day...looks like democracy still works...Dem[ocrat]s need some ideas for sure but at least we had an alternative to protest with.”

My very best wishes to all. Take care of yourselves and each other.
Cheers,
Cap :-)

No comments: