10 May 2021

Update no.1008

 Update from the Sunland

No.1008

3.5.21 – 9.5.21

Blog version:  http://heartlandupdate.blogspot.com/

 

            To all,

 

The last four months have been dominated by working with my publisher, Saint Gaudens Press, Inc., to reformat and refine my latest manuscript into production form.  The files, print and digital forms, have gone to the printing and distribution phase.  I expect to announce the publication of my 19th book and the 9th book of my To So Few series of historical novel.  The transformation of a manuscript into a released book is never easy.  Some are harder than others.  It is done.  We await the release.

Last summer [967], I noted the completion of another manuscript I had provisionally titled Heaven on Earth.  The manuscript was rejected by the publisher.  At least, the chief editor offered a laundry list of mandatory changes, including a new title--Indulgence.  The modifications essentially required a rewrite.  After several weeks of cogitation, I saw my way through the directed rewrite.  The revised manuscript is complete and will be submitted when the publisher is ready to receive and consider its worthiness.  There is a chance Indulgence could be published this year as well.  Time shall tell the tale.  I will, of course, keep you posted as I know more.

 

Another perhaps small but important space flight milestone was achieved this week.  On Wednesday, 5.May.2021, at 17:25 CDT, SpaceX launched the latest flight test of their Starship spaceship—Serial Number 15 (SN15)—from their launch complex at Boca Chica, Texas.  [They skipped SN12 – SN14; the SN15 vehicle was a block upgrade to the earlier test articles.].  For those who missed the flight and may be interested, here is the URL:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9eoubnO-pE
Ignition of the three ascent engines (T-00.0) occurred at 6:30 of 16:05 of the video (to save time).  The flight was a magnificent achievement, climbed to 33,000 feet, flopped over to the descent attitude, and then, they stuck the landing.  The ship shutdown its engines at the edge of the landing pad, standing on its legs; they did not hit dead center, but at least, they were on the pad and upright, which is pretty darn impressive.  They did have a post-landing fire at the base of the ship that appeared to be a liquid methane leak; they extinguished the fire within minutes using a remote fire suppression system.  The continuing problem of post-landing fuel leaks and resultant fires is troubling and worrisome.  Elon Musk declared the flight including the landing was officially nominal.  From my perspective, I would agree; it was near perfect.  SN16 is being prepared for its flight test with an as yet unspecified launch date.

 

Sunday’s 60 Minutes program on CBS titled: “Ingenuity & Perseverance” lead off with a feature about the Mars rover Perseverance [997] and its little drone helicopter Ingenuity [1006].  Regardless of whether you are interested in space exploration, I strongly and emphatically urge every thinking human being to watch at least the first segment of the program.  It is an incredible feel-good story.

 

            Comments and contributions from Update no.1007:

Comment to the Blog:

“I see Joe Biden as a competent politician despite his advanced age.  The times may call for more than competence, but we have what we have.

“We would do well to examine our own wealth gap, as someone else mentioned.  That is also a factor in the political money issues, because great wealth buys politicians.

“The Ottoman Empire committed genocide in 1915.  Do we have any current issues that deserve our energy?

“I’ve seen the older version of 12 Angry Men.  I imagine factual events in that mode are exceedingly rare.”

My response to the Blog:

Yes, the times do demand far more than just competence.  Yet, after the last four years, we need recovery and healing.  Unfortunately, the BICP wants to keep the wounds open and festering with the [person who shall no longer be named] persisting in the BIG LIE even to this very day.  Healing will take longer than I would like, but that is life.  My threshold was stability and humanity.  I think Biden is better than competence, but it is going to take time to know that; I will feel good as long as he just stays above my minimalist threshold.

Re: wealth gap.  I agree all the way around.  The wealth gap is rapidly becoming another de facto form of royalty and slavery—not healthy.

Yes, they did.  It is unfortunate that Turkey’s sense of nationalist machismo prevents them from recognizing or acknowledging history.  It is long past due for them to recognize reality.

Re: “Do we have any current issues that deserve our energy?”  Yes, absolutely!  Tons of issues.  Law enforcement reform, white supremacy nonsense, comprehensive immigration reform, paying down the national debt, every citizen’s fundamental right to privacy and freedom of choice, et cetera ad infinitum.  All of these issues and many more deserve our energy to resolve.

Yes, true, but the movie represents the struggles of every jury, some more so than others.

 . . . follow-up comment:

“Subtlety doesn't benefit me.  The question about current issues was meant to point out that the Turks committed the atrocities in question over a century ago.  When do we let go of the past?”

 . . . my follow-up response:

I think the point was acknowledgment.  We are still trying to move past a large chunk of our nation who supported and actively sought to oppress an entire group of citizens because of the pigmentation in their skin.  Acknowledgment is not easy.

 

            My very best wishes to all.  Take care of yourselves and each other.

Cheers,

Cap                  :-)

2 comments:

Calvin R said...

Good morning, Cap,

I have enough awareness of space flight to appreciate the successful terrestrial landing. That facilitates a great deal more space flight in the future.

I’m not focusing on that much this morning. The news is filled with our much higher homicide rate. I note that mental health, addiction, and their related issues resulting from the response to the virus will take far longer to control than the virus.

Have the best day available,

Calvin

Cap Parlier said...

Good morning to you, Calvin,
Indeed! And, I’ll keep watching and learning.

I have had exactly the same thought. Our increased homicide rates are a direct reflection of our abysmal mental health detection, triage and treatment processes and capacity. This is one of many things that happen when mental illness of all levels go untreated. Unfortunately, the people charged with finding solutions will not take on the difficult aspects of the problem and will far more likely focus on the easy stuff—the low hanging fruit.

As a minor footnote, I will illuminate that several medical TV series programs have started to feature mental health and psychiatric intervention as main characters and principal storylines. Progress by jerks, as the physicists say.

“That’s just my opinion, but I could be wrong.”

Stay safe. Take care and enjoy.
Cheers,
Cap