01 September 2008

Update no.350

Update from the Heartland
No.350
25.8.08 – 31.8.08
Blog version: http://heartlandupdate.blogspot.com/
To all,
The follow-up news items:
-- It is official. Congratulations to Senator Barack Hussein Obama of Illinois [339], and Senator Joseph Robinette Biden, Jr., of Delaware, who are the official Democratic Party candidates to lead the Executive Branch of the United States of America. I might also add a comparable atta-girl to Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton of New York, and her hubby, President William Jefferson Clinton, formerly of Arkansas; both the Clinton’s did a bang-up job at the convention.
-- The stage is nearly set. Senator John Sidney McCain III of Arizona [326] selected Governor Sarah Louise [Heath] Palin of Alaska as his running mate. No one can say McCain is not bold. This is called an “all-in” gamble. The Grand Old (Republican) Party holds its nominating convention next week. Then, the real silly season will begin in earnest.
-- Hurricane Gustav approaches on a similar track as Hurricane Katrina (195, et al). New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin [196, et al] issued a mandatory emergency evacuation of the city. The Republicans trimmed down their convention out of respect for those in the throes of evacuation and who will endure the ravages of another major tropical storm. The Democrats vowed a ceasefire during the days of trauma. Now, we hope and pray.
-- “Scientists Reprogram Adult Cells' Function – Advance Stirs Up Debate on Embryos”
by Rob Stein
Washington Post
Published: Thursday, August 28, 2008; Page A01
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/08/27/AR2008082701829.html?wpisrc=newsletter
Scientists at the Harvard [University] Stem Cell Institute reported a significant advancement in the field of stem cell research with Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (IPs) that are coaxed into other types of cell inside the body. It is the last prepositional phrase that carries the greatest significance. I do not have sufficient information regarding the process to understand how they trigger the in situ transformation; however, just the notion is quite intriguing and avoids the volatile debate surrounding embryonic stem cell research [146, et al]. The reported results involve mice, and they have a distance to go before human research and even farther for human application can be conducted. The news is encouraging.

Donald E. Wildmon’s American Family Association got all fired up again this week over a Planned Parenthood initiative titled: “Take Care Down There,” offering a set of video clips intended for the safe sex education of teenagers. I could wander off into a raucous tirade about a few of my favorite topics – moral projection and the paucity of genuine sex education for our children. Instead, I shall hold my fire and provide the URL for the Planned Parenthood website: www.takecaredownthere.org. You be the judge. I would truly appreciate whatever opinions anyone desires to offer.

Comments and contributions from Update no.349:
None
Comments and contributions from Update no.349A (Death with Dignity letter):
“As usual you have articulated a look at life that many could (or would) not do. I am sorry you had to suffer so much with your Mother. [We are] going through slightly different, but in many ways similar, aspects of her [my wife’s] Mother's last years.
“You really should go back to school and become a lawyer, who knows where that may lead over the next decades for you.”
My reply:
I am sorry you must experience this aspect of life with [your mother-in-law]. It is never easy, and no matter how much you prepare, you are never prepared.
Jeanne has mentioned going back to school to become a lawyer. I’ve thought about taking a constitutional law course, just cuz it interests me. Ah yes, but alas, I am too old to head down that path.

Another related comment:
“Your letter is eloquent, moving, and relevant. Both my parents suffered a miserable bed-ridden death a decade ago and were denied Dignity in Death. I've been screaming about it for decades even before they were victims of cruel laws. I commend you for taking up this cause. Even though I don't live in Kansas, count me in this fight right beside you. Oregon serves as an example for the nation about what it means to be willing to give humans the same dignity we give our pets.”
My response:
I am sorry your parents had to endure what my Mother suffered. You now know I can relate. In my own way, I chose to make my words public and available to everyone. If you wish, I would encourage you to cut & paste, to use those portions of my letter that are appropriate for Texas, delete the Kansas stuff, and add your experience, your words. I would be honored to help, if you so choose. I hold no naiveté that the Kansas legislature will be so progressive, but we just never know unless we try. Sometimes a chorus opens with one voice. Oregon does indeed serve as a beacon in the darkness; and, they have conducted themselves with pride and honor. Several other states have made bona fide attempts, but the Christian, fundamentalist, uber-Right often stands in the way, and of course, they try to put the fear of God into the legislature. Kansas made a half-hearted attempt at a Death with Dignity law in the late 90’s, but the bill never made it out of committee. We shall see what happens.
. . . a follow-up comment:
“I'll give some thought for not only Texas, but my home state of Missouri as well. My folks passed away there. I think of them each day.”
. . . and my follow-up response:
No pressure, as you know. This is a very personal action. I’ll attach my MSWord file, which has a goodly chunk of my research in hidden text, if any of it might prove useful to you. If I may be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to ask.
[P.S.: If anyone would like my original MSWord document for their purposes, I would happy and honored to attach a copy to your request.]

“Very well done and your correspondence drives to the heart of the matter, I wish your mother’s wishes could have been fulfilled. Both of my parents passed away in much the same manner as your father but both had prepared all of the legal papers for their demise years before so I an only child would not have great problems with the great legal entity of the State of Oklahoma.
“They both had trepidations about a long bout with health issues and we discussed that and how to handle it but we were not faced with that long downhill slide, just the gradual deterioration with age and heart disease.”
My reply:
Perhaps, it is an odd blessing . . . . at least your parents did not endure the slow, lingering path. Like your parents, my Mom had all the legal documents prepared well in advance, yet, as I am sure you experienced, no matter how much you prepare, you are never prepared.
. . . a follow-up comment:
“No matter how much you prepare for the eventuality of your parents passing it is always a shock and it takes awhile to recover, that is if you ever do.”

A comment from another contributor:
“Bottom line, I agree with you 100%, and offer any support you would ask/require in this quest.
“I lost my father to cancer in the early 1990's, and my family went through many similar experiences which you have so eloquently described.
“Although I am no longer a resident of the state of Kansas, my Mother lives in Winfield, and (God forbid) if anything would happen, we would be dealing with the same issues under Kansas law.
“Please let me know how I may assist in this endeavor.”
My response:
These actions are very personal, so I try not to pressure anyone into any action they are not convinced to take on their own. However, if you would like a few suggestions . . . .
My letter was an open letter by design and intention. It would be appropriate to address a simple letter of endorsement and/or concurrence to the governor and your Mom’s representatives with a copy of my letter. You could also write a simple letter to the folks I sent mine to as an endorsement, or perhaps just the Wichita Eagle. More importantly, you might wish to consider writing to the Alabama governor and your legislators. I will attach my MSWord document that includes much of my research in hidden text for your use, as you may wish. You are most welcome to use any, all or none of my words & work, that is entirely up to you. I stand ready to assist you as you see fit.

Another comment:
“Great letter. In my father's case this year, it was a blessing that he passed away only a week after being diagnosed with terminal cancer. It was very quick and peaceful, and my brother and I are thankful for that.
“Your legal analysis is good- you may have missed your calling.
“And Brownback is a sanctimonious git.”
My reply:
Naw, I’ll leave all the lawyer’ing stuff to you professionals. As you’ve probably gathered, I do have a bit of a curious fascination with the logic of judges. I have thought about taking a constitutional law course after I retire and have time to devote to such thought. Perhaps I did miss my calling, but as you know, at our age, we are what we are . . . for better or worse.
What is a “git?” Or, do you mean twit? I am not a fan of dear ol’ Sam, and I am always embarrassed to acknowledge that he is from Kansas. ‘Sanctimonious’ fits him to a tee.
. . . an answer:
“Britspeak -- more severe than a ‘twit,’ but not a stronger word like ‘wanker’ or ‘arsehole.’ A despicable person.”

Another contributor distributed the Open Letter to his network:
“Cap Parlier has been consistently a very kind gentleman in his blog and e-mails. He and I got to know each other via e-mail when I read a very objective book in the 1990s he coauthored entitled TWA 800-ACCIDENT or INCIDENT? http://www.parlier.com/
“Cap is retired Lieutenant-Colonel in the Marines and was a test pilot. He currently does production test flying for a major business jet manufacturer.
“His mom died 30-[July] 2008. This is his story and his desire to ask people to contemplate. Many of us have very mixed feelings about this topic. I for a long time have generally been against euthanasia. My reasoning was Biblical interpretation and fear at a point in our future, an end-of-life mandate could be imposed by a state or corporate entity based on quality-of-life metrics and cost ratios outside the patient's sphere of control. However, I would not want to be at the end of my road, whether natural or by accident, without predictable quality nor recoverability, and have a medical care institution keeping me alive by technology, or family thinking I would want to live like Christopher Reeve (no offense to his strength through difficulty). And sadly, many folks are warehoused without the loving support from family like the Parlier's, and the taxpayers or an estate is billed to maintain life even for highly ill people.
“Another factor is the tragic impact a terminally ill person who commits suicide, has on loved ones. There is often shame and survivor's guilt. Those that have pain or illness that exceeds their ‘capacity to bare the cross’ (when all other avenues, assistance, treatment was unsuccessful), need not take the route of a violent and often more painful ending due their only perceived exit to a problem with no solution.
“I have no doubt nothing but incredible compassion and courage is coming from Cap Parlier, for his mom and others in the same position. His sensitivity to the emotional complexity and both poles of the debate, is commendable. I applaud him for his energy and time in this effort during his family's healing process. And I am sure he will be most thankful if you read his sound and reasoned basis, for your consideration.”
My response:
Thank you very much for your generous words and forwarding my open letter to your network. I hope it does encourage folks to think about this important topic and perhaps argue the issues in a proper, respectful, public debate.
We should all bear mixed feelings, at a minimum, and reservations regarding this serious and irrevocable action. I attempted to articulate in my humble proposal, such legal options would and should be available to a small, finite group of qualified citizens, and even then, the option would be available only within a comparatively narrow window of time, i.e., an individual of sound mind (able to clearly articulate his wishes to independent witnesses) and at a sufficiently diminished physical state to see the end. The time window would open when his disease, deterioration or injury is medically unrecoverable, and would close when the individual is no longer competent to express his wishes. If application is not within that window, then it would be invalid.
The State has an obligation and bona fide interest in protecting the “unalienable rights” to “Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness” of every citizen, including those who are into their end-of-days. The State’s interests can be defended and protected by defined qualification criteria and independent medical and legal witnesses.
I just hope we can transcend the dogma and deal with reality in a logical, reasoned manner.

My very best wishes to all. Take care of yourselves and each other.
Cheers,
Cap :-)

No comments: