09 May 2016

Update no.751

Update from the Heartland
No.751
2.5.16 – 8.5.16
To all,

            Since this Blog is an open, public document and in deference to real security concerns within the world we live in today, I did not represent / report on our extended journey to Arizona over the last 10 days.  This Update will go to wire as we head home.  Springtime in Arizona is magnificent.
            We spent the first weekend with Jeanne’s brother & his extended family in Prescott Valley.  Oh my, the community has grown so much since we last lived in Prescott (2000).  Thank you, Lynette; we truly enjoyed the Professional Bull Riders event at the Prescott Valley arena.  The seats were fantastic.  We were able to watch the entire process and all of the action.  We look forward to next year’s invitation.  ;-)
            On our trek south on I-17 back to the Valley of the Sun and near Big Bug Creek, we hit a swarm of something, big bugs I presume, that instantly transformed the entire windshield opaque – not a comforting feeling at 75 mph – and, when I say entire, I mean exactly that literally.  In my more than a half century of driving, I have never experienced such an event on the ground, or in the air, quite like that one.  I managed to safely pull off the interstate highway and used nearly a full tank of washer fluid to clean the windshield sufficiently to see and drive safely.  A stop at the petrol station was needed to complete the cleaning beyond the distraction threshold, and even now, I am not certain I would claim it is spotless.  Nonetheless, we survived the unusual event.
            Just an odd but relevant observation, US60, one of the highways through Mesa has five primary drive lanes + an HOV lane + long merge lanes for each interchange.  It is not often you see such wide highways.  Anyway, I just thought I would share that observation.  I suppose this fact represents the reality that Mesa has outgrown us.  We manage drive by (without looking too creepy) our former homes in Mesa – still very handsome properties, I must say.
            We reunited with friends we have not seen in decades . . . oh my, the power of the Internet and social media applications.  Despite all the reasons we find these days to denigrate social media apps, there are many very positive, affirming aspects that must not be overlooked or forgotten.  Several of the positive aspects were demonstrated over the last few weeks.
            We attended the Apache (YAH-64 / AH-64 Advanced Attack Helicopter) Founders Reunion, or more euphemistically called the Grey Beards Gathering . . . and I even did the best I could to grow a beard that in my case is quite grey.  The organizers tried to collect up folks who worked on the developmental program from the go-ahead decision (1973) to production (1984).  It was fantastic to see former colleagues, good friends, and names I recognized from the leaders board.  Most of details I knew.  Some details I did not know, but I learned from those who were essential to those details.  Story telling abounded, as can be readily imagined.  The success of the program can be attributed to many of the attendees at this event.
            We both agree; this was an excellent trip . . . well worth the effort.  Yes, we are eager to be home.  We miss our children, grandchildren and of course our dogs.

            And then, there was one.  Both TrusTED and Kasich suspended their campaigns for the Republican presidential nomination after losing the Indiana primary this week, leaving the GOP front-runner alone in a field that opened last summer with 17 Republican candidates.  While it is still not clear whether the front-runner will reach the required 1,237 committed delegate threshold to gain the nomination outright, I will withhold my use of ‘presumptive nominee’ until he does cross that required threshold.  I do not and will not accede to the most delegates or most votes approach promoted by the front-runner and outside the agreed to rules for the nomination.
            So, it appears the Tea Party wing has finally commandeered the Republican Party, although I am probably overstating things a smidge.  I suppose what is about to happen is more coincidence that intentional design, but still, the Tea Party folks have railed against the establishment for many years now, and they finally found a boisterous, offensive, egomaniac candidate to garner their votes.  And, what’s more, they went to the polls.  Yet, I remain suspicious that a significant number of “Republican votes” the GOP front-runner received in the primaries may actually be Democratic negative votes, since open primaries allow anyone to vote for anyone they wish, for any reason they wish.
            Hey, wait a minute; if more states go to caucuses or open primaries to avoid costs, maybe the political parties are verging on irrelevant.  We shall see.

            News from the economic front:
-- The Reserve Bank of Australia lowered its cash rate target by 0.25% to a new low of 1.75% – the first cut in a year, in the central bank’s effort to tackle record-low inflation and a strong local currency.
-- The U.S. Labor Department reported nonfarm payrolls rose by a seasonally adjusted 160,000 in April – the weakest gain since September.  The unemployment rate held steady last month at 5%.  The somewhat disappointing employment data may be a sign employers are turning cautious after the economy began to slow earlier in the year.

            Comments and contributions from Update no.750:
“It was good to see on the BBC your current President bring a touch of humour to the unpleasantness of your election furore.
“I have to say his timing was impeccable and expressional dead pan. The line that amused most was when he announced that he knew who would be the next U.S. President-‘But I won’t mention her name’! I expect you have seen that. Obama always impresses me but he did stir the pudding somewhat last week when he strongly supported our Prime Minister in his bid to keep us in Europe at the referendum next month.  Of course the anti-brigade leaped upon that and like a startled horse it fled wildly around the media!
“However Cap one person who gets a lot of mention over here is John Kerry and his peace efforts for Syria where the killing continues. His work is rarely, if ever, mentioned in the writings in your correspondences. I have, several times, wondered why that should be. He is, over here, seen as an important voice of your nation and your efforts to bring some peace to this quagmire of international quicksand which is causing untold misery to thousands and thousands of refugees making their way across a Europe that doesn’t want them knocking on their door.
“I have read your words re immigration and border controls and note your personal views-the world is full of immigrants /refugees /homeless and has been for a long long time. So apart from building the Berlin wall around every nation on earth what is the answer? I have no idea my friend. As we agreed quite recently we are both quite probably of ‘foreign’ ancestries.
“Come Thursday this week, [my wife] and I are off on a pilgrimage to The Somme. A week paying homage to those young men who  so tragically died in that battle- especially on the 1st July 1916 when 20,000 British soldiers lost their lives, yes 20,000 in one day. The most tragic day in the history of the British army. We will be laying wreaths at Thiepval and The Menin Gate, an honour indeed. My own maternal Grandfather died from TB after service on one of His Majesty’s destroyers. He was a stoker.
“I guess we all have links somewhere to that war that didn’t end all wars but should have done.”
My reply:
            I look forward to your impression of “The Jungle Book” movie.  An embarrassing FYI: I just remembered . . . Rudyard Kipling won the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1907 for the original story – “The Jungle Book.”
            Yes, Barack Obama does have an impressive sense of humor and phenomenal comedic timing.  Yes, I do remember that memorable line.  And, yes, he did indeed “stir the pudding” as you say.  I also agree with the President, the United States has a vested interest in a United Europe.  He would be remiss if he did not voice the perspective of the United States regarding the British referendum.  I just hope the British people can see the wisdom and strength of a united Europe.
            Re: SecState John Kerry.  I tend to not write about what I do not know.  His diplomatic work does not garner much Press coverage in the colonies.  I am not sure whether that is by his choice (as much of his work is classified), or the fact that the narcissistic, egomaniac, GOP front-runner manages to saturate the capacity of the Press.  It seems the whole of the Middle East (and North Africa, for that matter) is a quagmire.  I wonder why that it is so?
            Re: “building the Berlin wall around every nation on earth . . .”  I am not an advocate for border walls.  However, I must acknowledge that in some instances such walls are necessary.  Walls tend to stop, or at least slow down, casual or incidental crossers / violators, but any barrier can and will be overcome by willful individuals.  Any security system has to be layered . . . defense in depth.  England has come the closest to what seems like a comprehensive immigration control process, but I imagine there are flaws there as well.  When I worked and lived in England, I had to renew my work visa every year and keep my contact information current with the local constabulary.  The same was true during my time in Italy.  We have nothing even remotely comparable in this Grand Republic.  In fact, we have local municipalities that are actually declaring themselves “safe cities” and openly defying federal immigration law.  The foolish, wasteful, misapplied notion of building a 2,000 mile wall is going to solve the problem is simply ridiculous and sends the wrong message; it is a platitude to placate the ignorant.
            Re: The Somme.  Oh my, a stoker . . . that was a tough job back in his day, and then after such service to have TB claim him is simply tragic.  My paternal great-uncle (my grandfather’s older brother) survived Belleau Wood and Château-Thierry; those were brutal fights, but nothing like The Somme or Passchendaele.  Please say a prayer for those who served and those we lost.  Be safe.

Another contribution:
“Well said, Cap.  Regarding your eloquent paragraph summarizing your concern for our borders,
"I tend to be an optimist...
... intransigence of the political parties keeps us in the status quo."
“I am compelled to shout my agreement, resisting comment on the various partial solutions trumped up (get it?) by politicians these days.  Perhaps you recall a spot-on cartoon recently shared on line: Picture a tired and obviously Muslim couple traveling on foot with a small child in tow as they come to a fork in the rural road ahead, with sign posts showing Saudi Arabia, etc. on the near horizon to the left and indicating Europe and America off in the distance to the right.  The little boy, pointing to the left, says something like "But why not go where they speak our language and are familiar with our customs and beliefs?"  The mother is silent, of course, but the father, tugging at the boy's arm toward the right, says "What?!!?   And spoil a plan that has been in the works for thousands of years?"
“Your concerns are mine, but I am not as patient as you with the obvious inability of Barack Hussein Obama to overcome his loyalty to that religion in his consistent failure to put our county's interests above his Islamic background.  Border integrity is, of course, not his only abject failure.
“In addition to seeing the movie ‘2016’ (?), a documentary specifically addressing Obama, and ‘The Manchurian Candidate,’ a movie based on the then-farfetched notion that our Presidency can be purchased from abroad, Americans of both parties should admit the mistake made in 2008 and, remarkably, again in 2012.  Of course, the rest of the formula for hope is to first deny Hillary her life's ambition and then get serious about our borders.  It would help if the liberal media would use the term "illegal" to describe those it usually calls merely ‘immigrants’ or ‘good families seeking a better life just like those our country was founded upon,’ etc., etc.”
My response:
            Thank you for expanding the audience (and hopefully the participation) in this humble forum.  I shall assume Reply All is appropriate here and invite the other addressees to offer their opinions.
            Thank you, also, for your supportive words.
            Re: “his loyalty to that religion . . .”  Here is where we depart ways.  I do not and cannot agree.  While he may not be a devout, strict, evangelical Christian, he is NOT a Muslim or even a sympathizer.  I believe he tries to treat all religions with respect, as he should.  Further, “his loyalty to that religion in his consistent failure to put our county's interests above his Islamic background” is simply wrong and not supported by facts.
            Re: “Border integrity is, of course, not his only abject failure.”  To heap this failure on President Obama and ignore the complacency and culpability of Congress, as well as the inadequacies of every president in my lifetime is likewise wrong.  I attempted to determine how far back beyond my lifetime the border security and immigration control problem could go.  The best I can establish is 1916, which Pancho Villa and his band of Mexican outlaws crossed the border into New Mexico and killed 19 American citizens.  Thus, I will argue border and immigration control have been a national issue since at least 1916.  So, please, let us not imply border security and immigration is an issue that sprang during President Obama’s term in office; that is simply wrong, and again, not supported by the facts.
            Re: “our presidency can be purchased from abroad.”  If we accept this notion, the single root enabling element is the Supreme’s Citizens United ruling . . . not President Obama.
            Re: Illegal.  Indeed, quite so . . . the term is appropriate, as that is what they are regardless of their means of entry.  Visitors who overstay their visa expiration date, whether intentional or not, are likewise illegal.  Illegal aliens are illegal individuals regardless of their reasons.  Compassion does not justify illegal entry or overstay.
 . . . Round Two:
“We cannot agree on Obama's underlying motivations or the merits of his presidency, except that some of his actions have been quite good if not extraordinary, but we certainly do agree (and I did not intend to imply otherwise) on the origins of our immigration problems, as you so aptly summarized.  It's just that he does not see or do anything about the current border security crisis.”
 . . . my response to round two:
            Well said and agreed.  There is no requirement for agreement.  Opposition is essential to any democracy.
            Re: “current border security crisis.”  From my perspective, President Obama is trying to make lemonade out of the sack of lemons he has been given.  I place far more blame on Congress – the intransigence, unwillingness to compromise and find solutions, and the woefully insufficient funding of CBP.  Because of Congress’s inability to seek solutions, they have been unable to adapt our immigration policy and regulation to the realities of contemporary life.  The notion that border control and immigration administration is going to be solve by some foolish 2,000 mile wall is simply nonsense in the extreme and extraordinarily wasteful . . . quite akin to this damnable “war on drugs.”  Immigration policy must be multi-layered and in depth all the way down to the local constabulary level.  It will never be won at the border.  The border is a symptom, not the root cause.
 . . . Round three:
“last response:  Agree on history (bi-partison failures), but POTUS's effort is not to make  lemonade but something inoffensive to Democratic voters and Islamics.  Keep smiling.”
 . . . my response to round three:
            Understood.  We are each entitled to our opinions and perspective of the President’s performance.  I am just not quite so cynical.

            My very best wishes to all.  Take care of yourselves and each other.
Cheers,
Cap                        :-)

2 comments:

Calvin R said...

I’m glad you enjoyed Arizona. I’ve never been anywhere more beautiful.

I had an experience near the New Mexico-Arizona border that somewhat parallels yours. I succeeded in driving (on Interstate 10) through a dust storm only to see it change to a rain of mud. I found my windshield suddenly an interesting shade of yellow brown, completely opaque. Fortunately for me, I was able to stop, and the ordinary kind of rain followed closely. The shower cleared the windshield, leaving me with only a unique memory. It’s good that you were able to come through your experience unscathed.

I have driven on that stretch of US 60 through Mesa. I hope and expect never to do that again. The two or three times I did it, traffic filled every lane, bumper to bumper, shoulder to shoulder, merciless and fast.

While the Republican “presumptive nominee” continues his course, I suspect he will be the end, rather than the beginning, of the Tea Party. Seeing the Donald through a traditional political lens reveals very little. While I still doubt his aims, either at the beginning or now, I think I’ve divined his method. Trump, as you may know, has not succeeded in business to nearly the degree he claims. However, he has a talent for marketing that should be obvious. (For example, when I heard that “Donald Trump is running for President,” I knew instantly who that meant, and I expose myself to popular culture quite a bit less than most people. That’s marketing.) Whatever goal he seeks, we’re seeing a very successful marketing campaign. Having eliminated the competition for the nomination, he has begun the next phase. His marketing is turning to the general electorate as he tries to take over some of Bernie Sanders’ ideas. My evidence for this is hearing him say on CBS Morning News this morning (5-9-2016) that the wealthy will inevitably pay higher taxes. That will bring nausea to the Tea Party, but he got what he needed from them and he’s done with them. Keep in mind that none of this has anything to do with his actual plans.

As with any other marketer, Trump is not interested in the surface appearance of his actions but in their deeper psychological results. Think of all the annoying or silly advertising you have seen. Those ads continue because they sell products, not because people like seeing the commercials. The Donald is not nearly as dumb as he seems.

Your discussion of a “thousand year plan” or some such by people in the Islamic world to take over Europe appalls me. That notion is unworthy of you. The best-laid plans of conspirators ancient and modern have fallen apart due to the same field of knowledge that sells Donald Trump: psychology. If a plan with the caliber of conspirators involved in the Watergate mess cannot keep its secrets for Nixon’s entire term, what makes you think a disunited collection of religious fanatics can seek such a goal for centuries? To address your commenter’s description of that cartoon, there’s a simpler reason displaced Syrians go to Europe rather than other Arab nations. The entire Middle East is under siege by the US and our agents, especially from a Syrian viewpoint. Beyond that, most of the Middle Eastern countries treat outsiders like dogs, and the differences between the various shades and grades of Sunni and Shiite Muslim have caused strife right from the beginning of Islam. The Crusades would be a better example of attempted religious conquest, and we know what happened to that idea.

President Obama seems to have found a backbone for the last two years of his term, at least to some degree. If I thought Hillary Clinton would perform that well, I would probably vote for her.

Cap Parlier said...

Calvin,
Arizona is a magnificent state. All states have beautiful spots, even Ohio, West Virginia and New Jersey.

I’ve had a similar mud rain event, but not as bad as yours. Our bug event was even more strange in that it was instant, not a progressive sequence – instant opaque. Anyway, we all survived.

Our US60 experience was not as bad as yours. I was just amazed at the expanse, and that even with heavy traffic it was still moving fast, which is much better than the stop & go crawl of LA and other major cities.

Re: GOP front-runner. Interesting perspective, I must say. My Tea Party remark was rather loose and a disservice to serious Tea Party citizens. I am still struggling with how desperate some of our citizens must be to latch onto any old piece of flotsam or jetsam floating about on the water. He is a façade without depth, and yes, apparently a master marketer. Marketers are an essential part of the commercial process, and perhaps a marketer is precisely what we need at this point in time. I am just not convinced this particular marketer, with all his myriad character flaws, is an acceptable candidate, set aside best, to be commander-in-chief of this Grand Republic.

Re: the plan. I do not recall using the word ‘plan,’ in that the word implies some organized, concerted effort toward an established objective. Yet, facts are facts. Eventually, facts accumulated into an image. What does the picture suggest? To me, more than an odd few, radical clerics spread over more than a millennium have instigated their believers to dominate, subjugate and oppress everyone they could (believers and non-believers) by force of arms, by intimidation, by fear, by terrorism. No, I do not believe there is some national plan other than parochialism to an extreme that is incapable of tolerance. It took Christianity 1500 years to begin the process of finding tolerance, and I will argue Christians are still trying to embrace tolerance. None of this alters what we experience today.

Re: “The entire Middle East is under siege by the U.S. and our agents.” My oh my, this appears to be a chicken or an egg philosophical argument, i.e., is the U.S. in the Middle East to dominate the region militarily, or even economically, or is the U.S., there because more than a few inhabitants of the region kill and threaten to kill American citizens? The Crusades are often used as a bad example, yet they are another chicken & egg argument. You accurately reference the strife between Islamic factions, which has been a fact of life at least since the assassination of Imam Alī ibn Abī Ṭālib [661 AD]; that strife is not likely to abate anytime soon. Yet, I doubt the U.S. would be engaged in the region if ‘that strife’ was confined to the region and those believers, like a civil war. But, that violence has NOT been confined to the region for 60 years (or more, depending upon how we wish to define thresholds).

Re: Obama. Also, an interesting perspective. I have been disappointed by his lack of apparent engagement with Congress to do the nation’s business. President Franklin Roosevelt was perhaps the best at engaging Congress, and more importantly, We, the People, to move the nation. To be candid, I had high expectations for Obama’s rhetorical skills to move the nation like Churchill and Roosevelt. He has not attained that threshold of my expectations. Oh well, life is like that.

We still have quite a way to go before the election. A lot can happen in that amount of time.

“That’s just my opinion, but I could be wrong.”
Cheers,
Cap