20 July 2015

Update no.709

Update from the Heartland
No.709
13.7.15 – 19.7.15
To all,

            The follow-up news items:
-- The Greek Parliament approved (229 of the nation's 300-seat assembly) a crucial set of austerity measures required for a eurozone bailout package [704], after Greek voters rejected austerity measures [707].  Banks opened on Monday morning, with some limits on withdrawals by Greek citizens.  I suspect this flurry of activity simply kicked the can down the road.  We will return to this point, again.
-- The jury in the Aurora, Colorado, mass-shooting case (20.7.2012) [554/55] found the shooter guilty on all counts and specifically rejected the defendant’s insanity defense.  The sentencing phase begins.
-- President Obama announced an agreement with the Islamic Republic of Iran (IRI), regarding the Middle Eastern theocracy’s nuclear development program and specifically its nuclear weapons objectives.  Despite the very wrong letter by 47 U.S. senators [691] and per the previously agreed ‘framework’ [694], the P5+1 Group {People’s Republic of China (PRC), France, Russia, United Kingdom, and United States, plus Germany, i.e., the United Nations Security Council Permanent Members + Germany} [well actually, rather than P5+1, it is actually EU/EU3 + 3] reached agreement with the IRI.  The government has submitted the agreement to Congress for the required 60-day review in accordance with the recently passed Iran Nuclear Agreement Review Act of 2015 [PL 114-017; 129 Stat. xxx], which begins on Monday, 20.July.2015.  The congressional review promises to be quite contentious.  I have not reviewed the public document, as yet.  However, when the alternative is war, diplomacy is worth the attempt.  Something is better than nothing.  Let us give the President credit for the courage to attempt achieving acceptable results without bloodshed.  Further, let us give peace a chance.

            In the continuing Greek tragedy of contemporary times, we have another interesting opinion.
“An Empire Strikes Back: Germany and the Greek Crisis”
by George Friedman
Strategic Forecasting, Inc. (Stratfor)
Published: JULY 14, 2015; 08:00 GMT
Friedman concluded: “What else could Germany do? What else could Greece do? The tragedy of geopolitical reality is that what will happen has little to do with what statesmen wanted when they started out.”  Friedman’s conclusion seems to summarize quite succinctly what many of us have discussed in depth.  Perhaps, the approved changes (see above) will enable the Greeks to take a few steps back from the brink.  We shall see.

            I participated with several other contributors in an extended thread of debate with respect to a couple of YouTube videos constructed and delivered in the best Goebbels-esque propaganda diatribe form, predicting the imminent demise of civilization after the Supreme Court’s ruling in the case of Obergefell v. Hodges [576 U.S. ___ (2015)][706].  I have not yet finished my review of Obergefell, so I will hold my opinion on the Court’s decision, pending that review.  Here, I chose to share one paragraph of my contribution to the subject exchange.
            The issue is NOT same-sex marriage; that is simply the vehicle of convenience.  The issue here is, freedom of choice and equal protection under the law for ALL citizens . . . not just those who conform to the dicta of the majority.  w]here do we draw the line with respect to a citizen’s freedom of choice.  The answer is, the line is NOT ours to draw as long as an individual’s choices do not cause injury to another person, damage another person’s property, or endanger public safety.  The ugly thing about freedom . . . everyone does not make choices of which we approve.  Some of the choices of others are disgusting, disappointing, confusing, offensive and otherwise contemptible.  We have not, cannot and never will be able to enforce morality . . . that is the domain of parental teaching, religion, and other developers of what governs private choices in each individual soul.

            News from the economic front:
-- The PRC reported 7% GDP growth in 2Q2015.  The Wall Street Journal also reported that economists are beginning to question the veracity of the PRC’s economic statistics and reporting given other negative indicators.
-- Federal Reserve Chair Janet Yellen said, "If the economy evolves as we expect, economic conditions likely would make it appropriate at some point this year to raise the federal funds rate target, thereby beginning to normalize the stance of monetary policy."

            Continuation from Update no.707:
[NOTE: What follows in this section is a personal exchange between friends.  I struggled with the decision to include this exchange in a public forum, yet, at the end of the day, this is reality and in that it may be helpful to other readers of this humble forum.]
 . . . Round three:
“Enough is enough. I will discuss facts and likely outcomes, but reaching moral judgments based on the opinions of people not interested in reality no longer interests me. Please unsubscribe me.”
 . . . my response to round three:
            I am terribly sorry our intercourse struck you to this extent.  You have been a prized and valuable contributor to this humble forum for many years.  I would truly hate to lose your insight and perspective.  While we do not agree on many topics, we respectfully argue our views.  Please reconsider.  I trust whatever compelled you to this separation will pass, and you will rejoin the Update.  We have shared many things over the years.
. . . Round four:
“The value of contributing to this blog is that it's a public discussion of issues and ideas. The drawback is that you refuse to seek out facts to make a sound basis for that discussion. You ignore logic, formal or otherwise, when it suits your ‘perspective’ to do so. (You have a college education and a broad experience; I assume you know at least the basics of logic.) I will not continue to argue from imagination or from sources who prefer belief to knowledge as the basis for understanding.
“This does not mean I do not wish to continue our friendship. Privately, we have a more rewarding discussion of ideas and experiences. I just mean that I will not continue futile public discussions. I do not know whether I am finding success with your audience or not. Most of them do not contribute to the discussion, and some who do are either too specialized in their subjects or simply too irrational to add to my understanding.”
 . . . my response to round four:
            The temptation to reply at the personal level was difficult to resist, but I shall endeavor mightily to do so.  Since we are doling out criticism in the spirit of Sir Winston’s wisdom, I shall offer mine.
            The impression I am left with in this exchange is the bully’s pouting on not getting his way.  I trust my impression is wrong, but that is what I am left with.
            I am but a humble and flawed man with limited capacity to absorb as much as he can in the available time he possesses.  There is no question or doubt whatsoever that I am incapable of gathering sufficient facts to satisfy everyone, anyone or even myself, but I do the best I can.  I form an opinion based on the facts I am able to acquire and I remain steadfastly open and receptive to anyone who can offer better information.
            At the end of the day, my opinion matters not a whit.  I hold no position of authority or even influence.  I have no access to sensitive information.  I command no legion of troops or bodies beyond myself, and even that is questionable when Jeanne decides to assert herself.
            We clearly have not and will not agree on many topics as your body of facts and your perspective of those facts will inevitably be different, and perhaps even radically different, from mine.  Yet, I have always presented your opinions in their full glory without editing or abridgment, because I value your insight and unique view of issues . . . because they are different from mine and offer a contrast for readers of this Blog.
            I shall take your criticism in the spirit it was offered.  I accept and acknowledge my feeble limitations.  I trust you will find the courage to look beyond my foibles and find some modicum of worth in my blatantly biased opinions.
            Yes, our private discussions have been enormously rewarding for me as well.  I truly hope we have many more.  Most readers of the Update choose not to contribute for their personal reasons – perhaps, political correctness, or sensitivity with respect to social intercourse, or maybe even indifference or laziness, I do not know.  However, I have rarely had someone unsubscribe (disappear, yes).
            Lastly, I write this Blog for myself. . . not for compensation, not for kudos.  My hope is that someone will respond and disagree with me, so we can have some form of public debate on issues of our time.  I recognized and acknowledged at the outset of this Blog that some of my opinions would be controversial, upsetting, disgusting and even inducements to anger; that is the price I pay for public words; but, public debate is just too bloody important for a viable democracy and freedom.  I was and continue to be hopeful that readers will absorb, think and do what they will with the information and opinions offered.
 . . . Round five:
“Calling me a bully is as unjustified as it is irrelevant. Claiming inability to understand the issues or do some level of research is false modesty at its very worst, an excuse for your own unwillingness to consider facts.”
 . . . my response to round five:
            “The [gentleman] doth protest too much, methinks.”
            I specifically did not call you a bully.  I simply expressed how your words made me feel.
            I would respectfully suggest you back off the accusations.  They are not worthy of your intellect.  There has never been an unwillingness to learn on my part, only a finite limit to my capacity.  In that fault, I freely accept culpability, no accusations needed.
            So, let’s move on.  The sensitivity is making me tense.

            Comments and contributions from Update no.708:
“Thought you might enjoy reading this article. I found it beautifully articulated. Those Brits know English.”
"A Point of View: Why are opponents of gay marriage so sure they're right?”
Anonymous
BBC
Published: 10 July 2015
My reply:
            Interesting article.  Thx.  Whomever wrote the essay is certainly more articulate than me, and with equal certainty, I agree.  Since the Civil Rights Act of 1964 [PL 88-352, 78 Stat. 241], it has been against the law to discriminate in public facilities like stores, restaurants and transportation {Title III [78 Stat. 246]}.  The fundamentalists and strict constructionists have argued the CRA does not explicitly list sexual orientation and/or gender identity as covered classes; therefore, it does not apply. To me, such logic ignores the spirit of the law.  They had a viable, although disturbing, argument up to the Supremes’ ruling in Romer v. Evans [517 U.S. 620 (1996); 20.5.1996] and definitely by Lawrence v. Texas [539 U.S. 558 (2003); 26.6.2003], when the Court clearly established that non-heterosexual citizens were covered under the equal protection clause of the 14th Amendment; which in turn means CRA applies to non-heterosexual citizens.  It will just take us a little longer to achieve equal rights for all citizens.  I really like the last two (2) sentences.  Cults of certainty can only persecute or be persecuted.  Communities of common doubt can always co-exist.  Interesting observation.  Long journeys begin with small steps.  The journey continues. 
 . . . follow-up comment:
“Yes, the last two sentences really are powerful.
“We just got back from the Galapagos Islands.  Here are way more pictures than you want to spend time looking at...”
[NOTE: The link directly above offers an extraordinary photo essay worthy of the second survey voyage of HMS Beagle (27.12.1831 – 2.10.1836)]

Another contribution:
“The F-84 was interesting- I noted the paint scheme on bare metal and figured it was from the 50’s.  Then it came to me as I had read a number of articles that discussed the plane.  During the Cold War, a number of NATO air forces employed the F-84 in various models, notably the Luftwaffe, and de Koninklijke Luchtmacht (Netherlands) and the Luftforsvaret (RNoAF)- the latter too for a longer time than the USAF used the plane. Even the Armée de l'Air used the F-84 when France was integrated into NATO forces.”
My response:
            The F-84 did not see much success in the U.S.  Perhaps the international operators took advantage of discounted prices.  However you recognized the museum display example, you did and that’s what counts.

My very best wishes to all.  Take care of yourselves and each other.
Cheers,
Cap                        :-)

No comments: