16 February 2015

Update no.687

Update from the Heartland
No.687
9.2.15 – 15.2.15
To all,

The follow-up news items:
-- As the tragedy of MS Costa Concordia [527] continues its march toward closure, an Italian court took the next step with the conviction of former Concordia Captain Francesco Schettino of manslaughter, abandoning the ship and passengers before evacuation was complete, and other lesser charges.  The court sentenced Schettino to 16-years in prison.  Thirty-two people died as a consequence of Schettino’s bone-head, machismo stunt to impress passengers and islanders, when he directed the cruise ship out of the defined channel for a ‘fly-by’ of Isla de Giglio, Italia.  In doing so, the ship struck a charted submerged rock, tearing a 70-meter breech in the hull and causing the ship to capsize.  An incredible engineering effort to parbuckle [614] and refloat [658] the ship enabled the removal of the scar from the island and allowed the wreckage to be towed to Genova, Italia, for salvage. We can only hope Schettino serves every single day of that sentence, because if he does not, he will be skating on his negligence.  And, we must trust he will never be allowed near the bridge of a ship . . . ever.

Two topics have been on my list for several weeks now, but I have been saturated with a variety of ‘things’ for more than several weeks.  What are the two topics you ask?  Vaccinations and marriage.  So, here we go.

Like so many issues or topics in our society, the matter of vaccinating our children, and ourselves for that matter, represents the essence of freedom.  I truly appreciate the serious concerns many citizens have for the content and application of immunization substances.  I am not a biological chemist, or physiologist, or any other scientist of human processes or the precise content of pharmaceutical substances intended for human consumption, directly or indirectly.  I am a simple, retired engineer, who happens to enjoy telling stories.  I am also a concerned citizen.  I respect the right of every citizen to make those decisions for themselves and their children whether to vaccinate.  We have several friends who have purposefully refused vaccinations.  I am good with that.  However, the public good exceeds an individual’s rights in certain circumstances, where that conflict intersects in the public domain.  An example of such an intersection is public schools.  A child who is not vaccinated is susceptible to infection.  While succumbing to any particular disease may well be a personal choice, being a carrier of that infection is not a respected choice.  In the interest of the public good, prohibiting any child who is not vaccinated to current standards from attending classes is not only appropriate but I will argue it is an obligation.  We can also say that once evidence of infection is established, an individual should face mandatory quarantine until the contagious phase has passed.  Vaccinations are not just a private choice; they are also for the public good.

Kansas State Representative Steve Brunk of Wichita recently pronounced, “. . . the decline of the institution of marriage over the last number of decades . . .” has led to a “degeneration of the culture.”   As chairman of the Kansas House, Federal and State Affairs Committee, Brunk initiated legislative hearings focused on his contention that marriage is in decline.  If this was not Kansas, I might say this topic is long overdue; but, this is Kansas, and there are far too many politicians and citizens who feel compelled, for one reason or another, to impose their moral values, their beliefs, their constraints on everyone else via the law.  Marriage is a private matter between those involved.  The State has a public interest to ensure the parties who seek recognition by the State are older than the age of consent, are entering into the contract by their free will without any form of coercion AND all parties understand the terms of the contract.  Beyond those public aspects, the State does not have any right to inject itself into a private relationship – marriage.  Frankly, I do not trust Steve Brunk or his fellow moral projectionists in the legislature.

“High-Altitude Ice Crystal Icing – This type of icing does not appear on radar due to its low reflectivity. Neither airplane ice detectors nor visual indications reliably indicate the presence of ice crystal icing conditions. It is often undetected by the flight crew and has caused many high-altitude engine failures”
by Patrick R. Veillette | Business & Commercial Aviation
Aviation Week & Space Technology
Published: Feb 2, 2015
We have been discussing the unique, little understood, high-altitude phenomenon of ice crystal impaction [428] for quite sometime.  I flew aircraft for several decades.  I also studied aerodynamics, aerothermopropulsion, and many other elements of atmospheric flight.  I will not be so bold to claim expert status, but I will claim to be fairly knowledgeable of flight.  I did not become aware of this issue until 7 years ago, when we were investigating a serious in-flight incident involving a Premier I jet that lost all airspeed indications at altitude – ice crystal impaction.  While the Premier I is a small, swept wing, jet airplane, much larger aircraft have suffered various degrees of this phenomenon, e.g., AF447 [391] and now likely QZ8501 [680].  We are trying to learn more.  Pay attention!

The drama unfolding in Greece may well be more significant and impactful on Europe and perhaps the world than events in Eastern Ukraine [657].  On 25.January.2015, Greek voters chose mostly SYRIZA members (Synaspismós Rizospastikís Aristerás {Συνασπισμός Ριζοσπαστικής Αριστεράς} [The Coalition of the Radical Left]).  No sooner had the votes been counted, the leader of SYRIZA Alexis Tsipras announced his intention to reject the EU imposed austerity measures.  If the new Greek government follows through with Tsipras’s professed intentions, they may well force Greece to depart the European Union.  Then, we hear our good buddy Voldya has already made overtures to the new Greek government.  We must imagine what comprises those overtures.  Once again, I am reminded of events that played out 70 years ago in Greece.  Soviet Dictator Josef Stalin stirred up the communist incursion in Greece . . . expansion of Soviet domination beyond the boundaries of occupation agreed at Potsdam [2.August.1945].  If Greece walks out on EU, they will likely default; if that happens, it will put enormous financial stress on Germany and the Eurozone, which continues to struggle with a tenuous recovery from the financial collapse of 2008.  It is not a stretch to imagine Voldya Putin eagerly offering to support Greece with appropriate quid pro quo, and if that happens, Putin may well accomplish what Stalin did not . . . thus, my opening sentence.

On Tuesday, 10.February.2015, Kansas Governor Samuel Dale ‘Sam’ Brownback issued two executive orders – 15-01 and 15-02.  The first one rescinded Kansas Executive Order No. 07-24 issued by then Governor Kathleen Sebelius née Gilligan on 31.August.2007, which prohibited state employment discrimination based on sexual orientation.  Brownback’s second executive order made a rather lame attempt to affirm the state’s commitment to eliminate employment discrimination.  His implicit statement: sexual orientation and gender identity are not protected classes, i.e., it is acceptable to discriminate based on sexual orientation.  For Brownback, the hate spat upon non-heterosexuals is normal, understandable, tolerable and otherwise acceptable; he has a long, consistent history of homophobia.  I imagine in his mind, we should return to the long history of brutal oppression of non-heterosexuals because that is just the way things are and should be.  I can understand Brownback being a hateful man.  What is far more disturbing is the majority of voting Kansas residents who elected him (again).  If there is any comfort for me, I have never voted for the man, and I most certainly never will.  I have to believe and trust we will eventually overcome the archaic mentality and rationale of men like Brownback, who cannot find any compassion for those who have suffered.

President Obama submitted a proposal to Congress, requesting an authorization to use military force against ISIL.  The bill has been introduced as H.J.Res.27 and gone to committee.  The request has received mixed reviews from both sides.  The reality is, the President needs such authority.  It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

A friend and frequent contributor sent along this article:
“Cancer Patient Fights against Assisted Death Ban in California”
Written by Leah Gardiner
West Texas News
Published: 13 Feb 2015
I am in the process of updating my earlier proposal (2008) that I need to resubmit to the new state legislature for consideration.  I continue to hope we can get the law changed before I need the option.

News from the economic front:
-- Sweden's central bank, Riksbank, cut its benchmark rate to minus 0.1% from 0.0% and said it would buy government bonds worth 10 billion Swedish kronor (US$1.2B), as the Swedish central bank joined a widening group of central banks trying to battle low inflation.
-- The European Union's Eurostat agency reported the Eurozone’s combined GDP was 0.3% higher in 4Q2014 than in 3Q2014.  Once again, Germany led the Eurozone economies in growth, although large parts of the Eurozone were either close to stagnation or still contracting.
-- Japan's GDP increased at an annualized pace of 2.2% in 4Q2014, significantly weaker than the 3.6% expansion forecast, perpetuating concerns about Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's efforts to stimulate the nation’s economy out of a long slump.

Continuation from Update no.682:
“I would say ‘radical’ or better yet, ‘violent radical’ for the para-military organizations claiming Islamic (or Christian, or any other) beliefs. The fact is that their policies are not fascist in the least. Fascism does not use religion as a tool and does not serve religion but rather business. Realistically, these groups are not Muslim either, as ISIS has recently proven by executing a man by fire.
“It might also be wiser to face how many of our ‘demons’ are our own creations, dating back at least to the early Cold War. The Taliban and Saddam Hussein received direct support from the U.S. The people in Iraq knew very well that Saddam Hussein was not involved with the militant Islamists who may have committed 9-11; they opposed him. The list goes on and on. We might as well face that fact that our government has been consistently dishonest with us in important ways.
“Pretending that these groups just arise spontaneously in the Middle East (or where ever) will not work. The notion that these militants result from Islam somehow being different from Christianity, Judaism, or any other religion that continually makes war makes no sense either.
“I have noticed that you do extensive and detailed research on legal opinions. I am not sure why you see fit to put so much effort into that subject but not into other topics.”
 . . . my response:
            Thank you for your response.  Let us start with a dictionary definition.
Fascism = a governmental system led by a dictator having complete power, forcibly suppressing opposition and criticism, regimenting all industry, commerce, etc., and emphasizing an aggressive nationalism and often racism.
Now, based on that definition, where does my application not match the definition to ISIL, Taliban, or al-Qa’ida?  They have a dictator.  They use violence to establish and enforce complete power, suppression of ALL opposition, control all commercial activity, and advocate for an absolute dictation of public and private conduct according to their fundamentalist dicta.  To my understanding of the definition and application of the word, any ideology will suffice to sustain fascist conduct.  In this instance, it happens to be a rabid mutation of Islam.  I am certainly not even remotely suggesting the use of Islam by al-Qa’ida or ISIL is Islamic.  To my knowledge and opinion, their beliefs are a very long way from Islam or any other religion, but that does not alter the reality of their claims and rationale.
            I do not believe or recall ever suggesting these groups sprang up spontaneously.  Again, to my knowledge, these groups have been evolving for decades.  These groups do not grow from Islam.  They simply use distorted interpretation of Islamic teachings to justify their megalomaniacal conduct and objectives.
            The amount of my research to formulate my opinion(s) may or may not be sufficient or even remotely correct.  All I can say is, I do the best I can.  The documentation of most legal or legislative issues is generally and substantially greater than the ideological underpinnings of ISIL.  We have the advantage in our assessment of Nazism in many decades of history.  We do not have the same history on ISIL and only slightly more history on al-Qa’ida.
            I certainly respect your opinion, your perspective, and your criticism.  I can only say . . . I try.
 . . . follow-up comment:
“What trips you up is the end of that definition, ‘emphasizing an aggressive nationalism and often racism.’ ISIL, al-Qaeda, and most of the others could not be accused of nationalism. They seek to establish themselves wherever they can. National identity, national history, or anything similar is not part of their outlook. They recruit worldwide, making racism unlikely as well. Also, if one would capitalize Fascism, that same source (dictionary.com) refers you to definition 3, making it a reference to Mussolini's Fascist Party, either specifically or in principles and methods. That fails in this instance.
“You frame your blog as a place to debate, not as a site for venting one's fears and feelings. That is my larger issue with you about the blog. Any writer must understand the effects of words on audiences, and you seem unwilling to carry that responsibility.
“‘Fascist,’ with or without a capital F, is a loaded word. That is not appropriate in a real debate.”
 . . . my follow-up response:
            I must say, you have offered an interesting perspective and interpretation.  Respectfully, I shall beg to differ.  ISIL, al-Qa’ida, Muslim Brotherhood, et al, do, in fact, seek nation-state identity as a fundamentalist Islamic caliphate, domination of all others to impose their unitary dicta.  I believe they ultimately seek to impose their views of governance on all of humanity.  They have that view of their beliefs.
            Re: Fascism.  If we confine the definition to the domination of the fascist states of mid-20th Century, then I can understand your perspective.  Unfortunately, I am not using the term in the same or even similar context.  I use the term as descriptive of their espoused objectives and their actions.  They are not seeking liberation of their historic homeland.  They seek domination of everything and everyone . . . that surely sounds, looks, feels like fascism to me, and they are using an abominational interpretation of the noble religion of Islam as their justification for their action.
            Re: responsibility.  You are entitled to your opinion, as am I.  I may not share that opinion.  I do my best, limited or insufficient as it may be, to present an opinion, a perspective, a view of contemporary events for public debate.  The whole point is that we disagree and offer contrarian perspectives in furtherance of public debate.  To do so is in the interest of democracy and freedom.  I am sorry that your perception of my writing suggests I am unwilling to take responsibility for my word choice.  I can only assure you such a perception is the farthest from reality and the truth.
            What ISIL is doing is immensely more ‘loaded’ than any word chosen to describe their actions.  I respect your right to reject my word choices and condemn my opinions, but I call ‘em as I see ‘em, and I do the best I can to convey my opinions and perspective in furtherance of public debate, and to stimulate the expression of your opinion.

Comments and contributions from Update no.686:
“Just wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed reading about your trip.  Felt like I was there with your descriptions.  Wish I had been for the wine tasting!”

Another contribution:
“A super trip was had by all. You know I thought travelling down to Southampton was far enough to catch a cruise ship. But Kansas to Lauderdale that is some journey but then look where you live. The sea is not exactly lapping at your feet. As you well know somewhat different for our little island. We’re looking forward to spring and getting across to the continent.”
My response:
            My apologies, I intended to include the following preface for the text message distribution.
{NOTE: For those who receive the text version, I recommend you visit the URL link in the title to view the inserted images.  The messages just get too big to include the images in the text file messages.}
From your last message, I surmise you found the imbedded images.  If not, let me know.
            Departing or arriving or both at Southampton would be amazing . . . that is where Brian arrived in England in June 1939.  I had to imagine it for the writing.  First hand would have been better.
 . . . Round two:
“Southampton, yes had a day’s tour of the Queen Mary, the new one I might add!
Indeed these vessels are like floating cities with every conceivable form of entertainment on board and as you said the food, well nil complaints.
“You know you had to imagine S/hampton for Brian’s arrival, I did that to a French port I had included in my first book. We went to visit some time later and I was shocked to see how accurate my imaginings had been. Even the town ‘pound’ was where I had put it. Now that was scary!”
 . . . my response to round two:
            Re: Queen Mary.  I’d bet good money that was an impressive tour.  They are indeed complete traveling resorts, which is their major appeal to us.  I gained six pounds on our week cruise . . . good food indeed.
            Which French port in your first book?  We have many contemporary tools for research of locations – Google Earth, Google Maps, historic photographs, et cetera.  But still, I worry that I’m not getting it correct.  My haunting fear is, someone who was there in that time frame pronounces that is not the way it was.  I’m so glad your on-site recce proved spot on; there is hope for me.
 . . . Round three:
“We’ve never cruised as such on such a large vessel, across the Med to Athens a couple of times living on Greek food (Calamari) and wine is our cruising experience. That was fun. The vessel we went on in our second trip finally demised on a submerged obstacle off of Beirut and was lost. No we weren’t aboard on that occasion.
“On the Queen though we thought it might take a week to navigate round the vessel. Agreed, they are magnificent bits of kit.  
“Yes Google earth etc can help with location choosing, my experience was before those days. You’ll be fine with your site choosing, who would dare to criticise! Anyway it’s the writer’s decision, he sees it as it is in his mind, if it’s wrong then it’s how he sees it, end of story..
“My French port is on the Atlantic coast of Brittany St Grenole. We fell in with a bunch of retired Bretagnes (very parochial those Bretagnes) supping cheap red at their own beach café. Wicked and memorable. Before then I never really had a lot of time for the French people but that relationship turned things around as I think worldwide we grew closer to them after that dreadful and barbaric incident in Paris. Je Suis Charlie.
“I expect you’re at the lap top by now pumping the keys, have a good one my friend, the days are getting longer as this tired old planet circulates the cosmos.”
 . . . my response to round three:
            Calamari & wine . . . oh my . . . nearly heaven.
            So glad you were not on board for the sinking.  You would like to think shipmasters were proficient with navigation and reading nautical charts.  He was not the first and certainly will not be the last.  We were taught those skills many times over at Little Boys Boat & Barge School.
            I have always been fascinated with the ocean and everything nautical.  I considered the Navy for a few months, but the Marine Corps displayed far greater esprit de corps even in the thick of Vietnam.  I am always fascinated by ship design, as I imagine you can perceive in last week’s Update.  I’d love to tour or travel on the Queen Mary . . . someday.
            Quite well said.  Part of the reason I have been re-writing manuscripts I finished more than a decade ago is precisely because of the research power available on the Internet these days.
            Re: Brittany St Grenole.   OK, mate, my apologies for my incompetence.  I cannot find the village on the maps available to me.  A few clues would be appreciated.  Nice to have such friends, mate. Nous sommes Charlie, sûrement.
            Just a little side note FYI: I have long wanted to tell the story of Captain Lieutenant Edward Pellew and his 44-gun frigate HMS Indefatigable, as they single handedly disrupted the French invasion fleet’s departure from Brest [16.12.1796].  Someday!
            The writing day is done.  Yes, at the moment, I am on the laptop, listening to the evening news.  I’m nearly done with the rewrite of Book IV; just finished 15.Sept.1940, this morning.  Once the rewrite is done, I’ll have to do a complete read-through for final edits before submitting to the publisher.  The journey continues.
 . . . Round four:
“Indeed almost heaven. I don’t know if you’ve come across Retsina, a Greek wine made from grapes but ‘dosed’ with pine sap. Extraordinary flavour and one you may not care for. From my travels I believe the pine sap was originally used to seal the wine containers by the Romans to keep out air. It’s still popular but unavailable in our local!
“Your production of writing is to be admired, well done, mine is somewhat limited. At the moment, just to see if I could, I’m writing a Murder Mystery with a hint of Agatha Cristie about it, but mine involves a humanoid alien! Great fun.
“Pellow, I know of him from somewhere.
“Cap, apologies, my error here, the correct spelling of the small port in Brittany, Saint Guenole. (Goggle Earth). Of course the modern port is vast(er) compared to my little early 19th century fishing port. Basically it’s an inlet through the vast rocky shores of that region. Nice folks, good food and wine, weather can be a trifle Atlanticonian. (my word, sorry about that).”
 . . . my response to round four:
            Re: Retsina.  No, unfortunately, I have not come across Retsina by knowledge or taste.  I shall keep an eye out for it, and who knows, we may get to Greece eventually.
            Murder-mystery . . . interesting.  Keep going and keep me posted.  Are you looking to get published?
            Re: Pellow.  Eventually, Admiral Edward Pellew, 1st Viscount Exmouth, GCB . . . a luminary in the history of the Royal Navy, not quite to the level of Nelson, but up there.  Quite a history, I might add.
            Re: Saint Guénolé, Penmarch, Brittany, France.  Got it.  Thx.  Not a classic harbor of refuge as Brest or Saint-Nazaire.  It is always a pleasure to learn. 

A different contribution:
“What a wonderful narrative! Clearly you all had an awe-inspiring adventure. Wish you had more bright, sunny days .. but alas, we cannot control the weather. Sounds like the sunrises and sunsets were colorful, and the wine tasting an exploration in grape preservation. The sailing sounded exuberating, an a bit scary, but all mates performed their tasks. Glad you all docked without incident.
“I’m sure the ladies enjoyed their gambling and I remember Jeanne saying if she ever got back to the Crib .. that she would buy another diamond. Wondering if she found her sparkler? Glad you had the company too. It makes for a fonder memory for all.
“Thanks for taking us all with you. Always love the mental pictures you paint, so vivid. Always love hearing about your travels. Glad you had such fun!!”
My reply:
            Glad you enjoyed last week’s Update.  Always a pleasure to hear from you.
            It was a good trip, although Jeanne and others thought the ship moved too much in the open ocean.  To me, it is part of being at sea.
            You remember well and . . . yes, as a matter of fact, she did get an ice rock upgrade . . . after all, she is a professional shopper.

My very best wishes to all.  Take care of yourselves and each other.
Cheers,
Cap                        :-)

No comments: