04 January 2010

Update no.420

Update from the Heartland
No.420
28.12.09 – 3.1.10
Blog version: http://heartlandupdate.blogspot.com/
To all,
NOTICE: Several folks have reported bounced messages to my primary eMail address. I have not yet figured out what the problem may be, but I hope to sort things out next week. If you have had any difficulty, please respond to the Blog. Thank you very much for your patience.

I stopped offering up pointless movie reviews a few years ago. I feel the urge to make an exception this week. Taylor, Sherri, Jack and I [Jeanne had no interest] went to see James Cameron’s new movie “Avatar” in 3D. I have resisted the whole 3D movie format for a host of reasons, but all the hype and various trailers overcame my resistance. The movie would be well worth your time even in the conventional format; it is an awesome, extraordinary movie with Cameron’s vision and technology.

The follow-up news items:
-- We learn more in the aftermath of the Christmas Day bombing attempt [419]. The new information is more unsettling than the event itself – for what it represents. Yet, what is far more disturbing to me than the facts of this near-miss is the tragedy of what is happening as a consequence. One of the important leadership lessons I learned as a midshipman and a Lieutenant of Marines was praise in public, criticize in private. I understand and appreciate the President’s need and responsibility to be frank and direct with We, the People; however, the President made a huge mistake in condemning the Intelligence Community in public, even if “a systemic failure” occurred. I have never seen the blame game as a positive exercise. According to Press reports, Abdulmutallab appeared on the TIDE list [Terrorist Identities Datamart Environment] – the lowest level, catch-all, database of individual suspected of terrorist interests / affiliations; apparently, the Intelligence Community (IC) did not alert the security services. Inter-agency communications remains a perennial weakness and vulnerability. The explosive charge was reportedly formed in an anatomically correct shape and sewn into the groin area of his underwear with a plastic, syringe-based, chemical detonator with the full expectation it would not be discovered. The puffer device would have detected the PETN, if the machine was functioning properly. I doubt the full body scanners would have detected this particular device for a host of reasons. Even a typical, airport security, pat down (other than El-Al), would not have found the Christmas Day device or a loaded bra device. Our anatomical modesty would scream outrage if proper techniques were ever used. Only the best of techniques would have detected the syringe and should have alerted security personnel to take a closer look. Even the full body scanners which face concerted objection for being too intrusive and too revealing might have left discovery to an alert and skilled operator. A full strip search would have found this particular device but perhaps not found an imbedded version. Nonetheless, the President should be helping the IC improve, not belittling the agencies who are trying to keep us safe.
-- In the wake of the Times’ revelation regarding Iran’s nuclear weapon’s trigger research [419], other-than-mainstream Press sources are claiming the document is a forgery. Regrettably, we will not know the truth for many years, if ever. So, we continue to wait patiently for the seismic shock of detonation. At this point, I say let’s get on with it. The IRI knows we are not going to act to stop them. They are virtually taunting Israel to further their megalomaniacal and political / religious purposes.
-- On Thursday, New Year’s Eve, the Montana State Supreme Court issued its ruling in the appeal of Baxter v. Montana [MT 1JD cause no. ADV-2007-787 (2008)] [366] – the state’s death with dignity case. I have not had the time to read the decision, yet; however, the Press has reported the ruling as favorable to now-deceased Robert Baxter and essentially makes Montana the third state to allow death with dignity. I should complete my reading of the case for next week’s Update. More to follow.
-- United States District Judge Ricardo M. Urbina for the District of Columbia dismissed all charges against Blackwater (now Xe) guards in the 2007, Nisur Square, Baghdad shooting incident [305-310, 329, 353, 365]. I have not yet read the judge’s reasoning. Based on Press reports, apparently Judge Urbina was not happy with the collection of evidence and labeled prosecutors as over-zealous. This is another case for my reading list.

News from the economic front:
-- GMAC Financial Services is seeking another US$3.5B in additional government aid on top of US$12.5B already received since December 2008, as the company continues to struggle with absorbing mortgage operations losses.
-- The U.S. International Trade Commission decided that U.S. steel industry has been damaged by a flood of subsidized steel from China. The ruling may result in duties on future imports of Chinese steel pipes, adding more tension to the U.S.-China trade relations. Chinese steel imports have surged in recent years to about US$2.8B, prompting U.S. steelmakers and the United Steelworkers union to petition for relief.
-- The U.S. Labor Department reported new claims for unemployment insurance fell by 22,000 to a seasonally adjusted 432,000, the lowest since July 2008 – better than the increase economists expected.

Comments and contributions from Update no.419:
Comment to the Blog:
“The health care ‘reform’ is probably better forgotten at this point. It doesn’t even remove the protection the insurance companies currently have from anti-trust laws, and it’s mostly one enormous piece of pork for the health insurance industry. On top of that, it creates fines for people like me who cannot buy coverage. (I find it reasonable to think that any potential subsidies will be removed for budget reasons by the time the bill takes effect for adults in 2014.) My decision on that issue will come down to whether the fine is higher than the cost of some useless ‘coverage’ that will be offered me under the new law. We need health-care reform; this goes in the wrong direction.
“What struck me about the attack on Flight 253 was the response of the passenger, Jasper Schuringa of Amsterdam, who subdued the terrorist until the air crew could help. This terrorist had a burning object in his hands, surely a more fearsome weapon than the box cutters said to have been used on 9/11. In fact, the burning object turns out to have been an explosive device, which Mr. Schuringa, a video director and producer, probably realized. I applaud and thank Mr. Schuringa, but it makes me wonder about all those people on the flights of 9/11 who faced only box cutters. I have used box cutters at work; they're not very scary. That’s still an odd feature of 9/11 to me.
“As far as the plane that overflew Minneapolis, we might as well treat that one as comic relief based on the logical assumption that if they were low on fuel or in some other serious situation, they probably would have paid more attention. If they were having sex, I would think they would have potential partners other than one another. In any case, I find it difficult to think of any other distraction that would account for the behavior and would not show up on routine drug tests.
“I reach a very similar conclusion to your other correspondent about the results of the Copenhagen climate summit. I feel certain that his or her political viewpoint is very far from mine, but we both noted the term ‘non-binding’ and the amount $100 billion. ‘Non-binding’ means ‘do as you damn well please.’ $100 billion means ‘we can make each other wealthy.’
“I differ with the other correspondent on the reality of global warming. This is old news for me. I wrote a college paper on global warming in 1991 (and got an A on it). Back then, those supporting the hypothesis of global warming were the ones being shouted down and silenced. The information today remains essentially the same, supported by subsequent data, and the politicians still seem not to realize that Mother Nature varies nothing based on what they say. A deal like the Copenhagen result does not change the climate in the least.”
My reply to the Blog:
A bit slow in my normal processes this week . . . the honey-do list seems to grow longer the more I do. I need to go back to work . . . to get back to normal. LOL
“Long journeys begin with small steps.” You have named a few of the weaknesses in the nearly evolved health care reform bill. I do not dispute or argue your illumination of those flaws. Perhaps the bill does go in the wrong direction, but it is an attempt to resolve an important failure of the American culture. It will be a step on a long journey. We will see its weaknesses, and we will fix them.
I have more to say on the Christmas Day terrorist attack in Update no.420. I’ll save further comment on NW Flt 253.
Good observation on NW Flt 188. To my knowledge, the two pilots were the only people in the cockpit during the entire time frame. I’m having a hard time understanding that level of distraction as well. Unfortunately, we may never know what happened.
Copenhagen . . . time shall tell the tale.
Global warming . . . I just don’t see the human cause element. The fact that glaciers are melting is an undeniable fact, but the cause is not so well understood. My point is and has been: if human habitation is causing global warming, we need to change our ways; if human habitation has nothing to do with climate change, we still need to change our ways.

Another comment:
“January 20th to get this whole health care mess wrapped up? As I've said before, why the rush? This is something we need to take our time with, especially since this is being worked on by the biggest group of idiots the world has ever seen. Obama, Reid and Pelosi just seem hell-bent on trying to completely ruin this country.”
My response:
I don’t think the rush is for the rush, but I think POTUS feels the clock ticking toward mid-term elections; I imagine he wants to get this trauma behind him. So, the rush is political, not technical.
I don’t believe POTUS, Nevada-Harry or SanFranNan seek to ruin the country. I believe they are misguided, but we shall grow from this debate, and I truly think we will be better . . . eventually.
We have overcome far worse. We shall overcome whatever bad may yield from the health care reform legislation.

My very best wishes to all. Take care of yourselves and each other.
Cheers,
Cap :-)

3 comments:

Calvin R said...

I'll repeat myself on the health care non-reform. The current package is a major gift to health insurance providers and nobody else. I do not see this as a step on the right path. You don't go from Chicago to Los Angeles by heading to Montreal and New York.

Cap Parlier said...

Calvin,
The best I can say is, I truly hope you are wrong.
Cheers,
Cap

Anonymous said...

Dear Cap, Hi from a snowy/cold/depressed U/K.
We've no salt for our roads, no leadership from our exceptionaaly bland politicians, no cash in the bank and a national debt running into billions of £s.
I expect we'll muddle through as the British people have traditionally done. I remember a Dutchman who worked in our stores at a base in Germany.
One of his favourite statements was
'No wonder you won the war even in peace time you practice chaos.!

By the way you e-mail adress is still bouncing.
Peter Suffolk.